Flushing the water system

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

ther : I agree that even 2 persons living aboard (did that for 8 months on a mooring) that you can't go thru all of a C34s fresh water in a week.

When you are long range cruising, you quickly learn to conserve water, but that you can't save it forever - water needs to be used and kept moving.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron,
How did you NOT go through all the water? Kitty and I have lived aboard for over a year now and we go through the water every 4 days! Of course, we shower daily, wash dishes etc... The only thing that may be happening is that the dogs are running the water while we're away -- those rascally dogs!

I agree, the pressure water plumbing is not the best. I did post a wiki on how to gain access to the back of the sink area by installing an inspection hatch. Cam in handy when another hot water hose blew off the connection behind there.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

waterdog

Lance, the difference between living aboard and cruising is that when you are cruising, fresh water is the constraint that will force you in to a port and sometimes you would much rather be in that beautiful anchorage.   After a while 5 gal / day / person seems like a really generous amount.  You can have a good shower with a gallon of water.  Dishes with a gallon and a half.  If you tie at the dock all the time, the only consequence of using a lot of water is that you have to stick hose in with a little more regularity - you don't have to pull hook and sail twenty miles to fill the tanks.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Lance Jones

Steve, that's true. I also figured that since Ron was an Aviator and me a Paratrooper, I would be the one who didn't take showers or use water to mix with those sweet aviator semi-adult beverages. Therefore HE would use more water. :rolling
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : We have been cruising on our C34 for over - 22 years. 
We typically stay at anchor for 5 or 6 days and go into a marina on the 7th day (to do laundry, dump garbage, wash the salt off the boat, go to the grocery store, load on fresh water/beer, etc).  We both take showers daily, wash dishes and don't use paper plates just to save water.  We fill a teapot with water till the HOT gets warm (before showering) and typically make coffee and shave from the boiled tea pot water.
Melted ice is another source of fresh water beside what is in the tanks.

In general we don't waste water, are conscious of what we use, but have never hit a marina with both tanks empty. With 77+ gallons on board (in the tanks) that's about 6+ gal of water per person per day for a crew of two.

Like I said before, I find the C34 tankage to be adequate.  If you need more water then strap on some blue 5 gal water cans on the walkway by the shroud lines - which I NEVER do.  My thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Lance:  My wife and I have been cruising for 30+ years.  Our experience is about the same as Ron's experience.  We however have added a second pump for the spray nozzle at the galley to rinse dishes before washing them.  The pump also serves as a back up if the primary pump should fail.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Lance Jones

I guess that's the difference between cruising and living aboard. However, I still think it's the dogs using it while we're at work.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622