MkII mast head anchor light bulb replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I finally got to the top of the mast and replaced the very inefficient incandescent anchor light bulb with Superbrightleds tower bulb #1156-CW18-T. It fits inside the bulb cover, works like a charm and draws almost no power. The price was $18.95. A very good and inexpensive upgrade and made in the USA.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

sailaway

John  I have a question about your anchor lit. Mine has a small plastic dome like cover about the size of a quarter. Most LED'S don't fit. What does your lit cover look like.Charlie

John Langford

Hi Charlie
Mine is a fairly tall Aqua-Signal or close equivalent which seems to be standard equipment on the MkIIs of my vintage (1999). The lens accommodates a light over 1.5 inches high (including base).
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Jack Hutteball

Charley, here is what the light looks like on my 2001 MKll before I changed to an LED bulb.
Jack

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jack Hutteball

P.S., this may give you a better indication of the size of the light.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

John Langford

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

David Urscheler

Well I should have known better, but judging by John's enthusiastic post, I ordered the same replacement bulb from Superbright LEDS. Sent my son up the mast only to find I have a festoon bulb. I figured I'd order a replacement from the same sight, but now I find they have both 42 AND 44 mm festoons.To save another trip up, does anybody know what size festoon lamps were used?

Ron Hill

David : On the festoon based bulbs, the 42/44mm length isn't that critical.  Because you can spread or compress the upper contact to fit.

What is important with the festoons is : they have ends that are either pointed or dimpled.  Aqua Signal tends to use the dimpled festoons. 

Ask your son before you order.  Hope this helps
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

John,
Do you know if the LED anchor light is Coast Guard approved?  I've heard that some LED's shouldn't be used for navigational purposes unless they are approved for level of brightness.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Joe Kern

Looks like I am going to have to replace my anchor light bulb which will likely mean sending my girlfriend up the mast.  Couple of questions.

1.  Anyone with a near 2005 mkII who has been up there lately and knows what kind of light is up there and bulb size?   I hope to replace with an LED but don't know what to order and I am hoping to only have her go up there once.

2. Since I have never been up there I am not sure what to tell her about how to get the lens cover off.  Assuming it looks like the pics in earlier posts does the kense just twist off or is there more to it?   

Thanks
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jack Hutteball

Joe,
If it is like the pictures on my 2001, it just slips off by pulling straight up.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

John Langford

Mine twisted off.

My guess is that you would have no problem seeing this LED anchor light from two miles away but I don't know if it is Coast Guard approved in the U.S. or Canada. Since I anchor only in recognized anchorages I am not sure if that matters. Wouldn't we all be illegal in any case if we weren't all hanging a black anchor ball in the rigging during the day? I think of the light as nothing more than a helpmate to me when I am trying to find my boat after dark, and, similarly, a small assist to overrefreshed dinghy skippers trying to avoid my boat late at night.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ralph Masters

All I have to say is if you can get your girl friend up the mast, you need to marry that woman and keep her around.  What an asset.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

John : I gave up on raising the black anchor ball during the day!! 
I found that the only people that knew what that black ball meant was the USCG (who came by and congratulated me) !!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Kern

Quote from: SD Diver on March 20, 2011, 02:17:59 PM
All I have to say is if you can get your girl friend up the mast, you need to marry that woman and keep her around.  What an asset.

Ralph

It is certainly a significant item for the PRO side of the equation.  She went halfway up to run a spreader halyard.  When I asked her this weekend about the mast head she said why not.  Just another 15 feet. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl