Installing a Raritan PH-II

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

Seems like I saw this somewhere but I've searched the posts and cannot find it.  I'm installing a new Raritan PH-II and replacing the hose to the holding tank.  Seems like I saw that a good idea is to install a 1 1/2" ball valve so you can close off the hose from the holding tank when working on the head.  A great idea, but can I use a PVC ball valve from Home Depot or do I need to buy something from the jewelry store (i.e. West Marine)?  Does it need to be a bronze valve?

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ken Juul

I've had to replace the Joker valve several times, I have never had a problem with the tank backflowing out the hose.  Is a valve really needed?  If you think so, I think I would stay with the pvc.  Everything else in the system is plastic.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Peggie Hall

You've got your apples and oranges--or in this case, toilets and macerator pumps--confused.  You DO want a y-valve or shut off valve in the TANK discharge line to the macerator pump so you can shut off the flow waste to the macerator to work on it...that is, unless the discharge fitting is on the top of the tank with a pickup tube inside the tank. In that case, you don't need one. You don't need one even if the discharge fitting is at the bottom of the tank if the macerator pump is mounted above the tank.

However, there's never any need for one between the toilet and the tank because the waste goes into a tank at the top of the tank...so back flow when you're working on the toilet is highly unlikely.  In fact, any valve in that line is only asking for problems moving the waste from the toilet to the tank...imagine someone closing it to change a joker valve and forgetting to open it again? 

But...if your tank inlet fitting is OUTBOARD on the tank (closer to the hull than to the centerline), put a loop--doesn't have to be a vented loop, just a high arch--in the line to prevent any waste spilling into the head discharge line when the boat is heeled from being able to run back to the toilet. 
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Rick Johnson

Perfect, thank you Peggie.  I'm glad you are here to stop me from doing something crazy!
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX