TEAK COCKPIT FLOORING

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

Does anybody know where I can get grating or flooring for the cockpit? I have tried the search but no luck. Thanks much, Paul  "SEAESTA" 766.

PAUL T.

Ron...First I would like to thank you for all the great information you have bountifully shared with us. I would like to say that my teak cockpit flooring is beautifull.  The reason I am inquiring about it is because anyone who has seen my flooring falls in love with it. Two Cat 34 friends of mine wish to have flooring made for their boats. I have the two inch boards running lengthwise. I have finished the flooring with TROPICAL teak sealer (not a teak oil) The flooring feels great under bare feet and hides all the dirt. Always looks great!! Thanx for your input. PAUL  "SEAESTA" 766

Bill Sedgwick

I hope you will post a photo. I've thought of making one and would love to see your floor before I begin.
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

bjmansfield

Paul:

Per your last response, assume you have installed teak in your cockpit re: teak decking.  Your originial post mentioned grating and I agree with Ron on that (when you talk about teak in the cockpit floor, i think most people assume you are talking about grating). Grating just traps dirt and is hard on your feet when barefooted.  A big difference between solid flooring and grating.

Jack Mansfield

delilah

Not sure what the big tadoo is, we've got teak cockpit grating on our '88 (my understanding is it was option at the time of original purchase). When we bought Delilah three years ago, the teak was a bit of a gray eye-soar...

I finally took it up and laid it on the dock with plans to clean and treat. After thoroughly brushing it clean with solution, I let it dry...and you know what - it looked great as is, the natural brown returned and I didn't even want to treat it. A little light sanding on some rough spots and it's good to go. As for cleaning underneath it, simply hold it up with your hand and let the hose gun do the rest...and a semi-annual complete removal for scrubbing the cockpit floor with soap (you never see it otherwise, so who really cares if it only gets done now and then).

And best of all - when it's really hot, the grating stays cool under the bare feet.

If you'd like, the next time I'm out I'll snap a digital pic and send it off.

John Gardner

As some have observed, teak grating is a dirt trap, but that's one of its advantages - what is trapped in the cockpit doesn't find its way into the cabin.  I have a grating in my C27 and it's grate !?!  It's aestheticly pleasing, and I have no problems with comfort barefoot or not.  I could imagine it would reduce the sun-heating of the aft cabin on a 34 too.
Subject to survey, I'm heading for C34 ownership, 1988, (without a grating), so I foresee an even greater interest in these discussions in the near future.  Anyone have a son, daughter, nephew who needs a 27
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.