Boat Trucking Scam Horror Story

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

I haven't shared a story here which I probably should have.   My trucking experience from Guaymas to Bellingham was horrific.   I dealt with a company that did not honor their contract, advertised falsely and used outrageous business practices to increase their price.  I have a long detailed rant on the subject on my blog which ends with some cautions for those thinking about trucking a boat.   I would urge you to read it if you are thinking about trucking or you like to read long detailed rants...

http://sailblogs.com/member/blackdragon/?xjMsgID=148288

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ted Pounds

Steve,
Can you just register on the website and post your own rip-off story about BoatsExpress and how they ripped you off?  Interesting that the site says 'by consumers for consumers' but it's being used by this sleazy business to attack a consumer.  Also it may be good thing getting on the scammers' blacklist.  Maybe I should get my name on there too?  :devil
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
I read your blog and what an nightmare. You should consider submitting your story to some of the boating magazines like Cruising World, Blue Water Sailing, Sail or Boat US.
Maybe even get paid for the article.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

lazybone

You could have told your story here in less than a short paragraph.
Hope things work out for you.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

waterdog

Quote from: Ted Pounds on October 26, 2010, 12:56:00 PM
Steve,
Can you just register on the website and post your own rip-off story...   :devil

You are a devil.  No question I can post a story there.  It's not like it could do a lot of damage to my reputation at this stage.  After reviewing the way these sites work, I prefer to stay away from them.   They riddle postings with nonsense hyperlinks to other nonsense websites for the sole purpose of boosting search engine rankings.  Then for a fee, you can join their program, forever vow to be nice and like magic all the nasty stuff disappears in the search engine rankings.  Legal?   Apparently.  Moral?  Not so much.  

What's a little disappointing is the BBB.  Your best strategy if you ever have a complaint filed against you at the BBB is to lie through your teeth.  (Assuming you're not interested in doing the right thing.)  One bad boat company had four complaints and didn't respond and their rating dropped to an F.   Another bad company with four complaints responded with a mixture of half truths, lies and distortions.   Each case is administratively closed with a note that "in spite of the company's best efforts" they couldn't reach resolution.   The rating drops to only to an A-.   I offered to send proof to the BBB in my case, and they weren't interested.  No resources or interest in investigation, they just push paper around.   In 36 months the reports disappear as though nothing happened.  

So your business model as a bad trucking company is to undercut the good companies on the quotation to win the business, then ding rich busy boat owners for an extra $500 or a $1000 to make up the shortfall in revenue.  Low level.  Enough so that they go away quietly ashamed at being taken, but not high enough that its worth them calling their lawyers.  Most are so busy they'll with move on with their lives without a fuss.   Brilliant.  

Public defamation of the customer though?   That's a weird business model that I haven't wrapped my head around yet.  I hope it works out well for them...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Quote from: lazybone on October 26, 2010, 04:02:41 PM

You're right!  I'm going to modify the opening post so I don't waste people's time.  I get carried away with words sometimes.  

Things won't work out for me.   The best thing to do is run and hide.  But I know dozens of others have done exactly that and that is how I ended up dealing with a scoundrel.  People should know.  That's why I bothered to write the story. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

So, someone gets on the Board and says: "Hey, I got ripped off by a rotten boat trucking company and then got scammed even more."

Ya think someone would ask for more details?  I liked having the details right up front. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

lazybone

Quote from: waterdog on October 26, 2010, 05:14:51 PM
Quote from: lazybone on October 26, 2010, 04:02:41 PM

You're right!  I'm going to modify the opening post so I don't waste people's time.  I get carried away with words sometimes.  

Things won't work out for me.   The best thing to do is run and hide.  But I know dozens of others have done exactly that and that is how I ended up dealing with a scoundrel.  People should know.  That's why I bothered to write the story. 

Steve, my apologies for that post.
Sometimes my ADD kicks and reading is a chore.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Lance Jones

Steve,
Loved the story -- hate your situation. It's stories like this that remind us all to watch what we do, who we do it with and what happens when we drop our guard. You have my support -- for what it's worth.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe Kern

I agree with Lance.  Crappy situation but well told story.  And if you decide to get t-shirts printed up with Rip-Off Artist, Con Man, Liar, and Thief, I would definitely like one.

I am about the least "lawyer" lawyer you will meet (decent social skills, good sense of humor, don't like to argue) so I hesitate to sound like one.  I also don't want to pass any judgement on your adventure.  What I would however say to my C34 Brethren and Sisteren is don't sign things you don't read and don't sign things you've read that say something different that what you have agreed to.  Not saying everyone should have to have a lawyer or that every contract/agreement has to be redrafted from whole-cloth, but if a party with whom you are dealing won't let you cross-out things that don't apply, make changes in the margins or by adding the proverbial "Notwithstanding anything set forth herein to the contrary....." to the end of the document with the correct information then you should just find someone else.  In the link posted by Rick Johnson the person signed a contract with no set transportation time that gave the transport company 30 days to come up with a date.  If the date is important then put it in the contract and if they won't do that then find someone else.  Sailors are good souls and at least as likely if not more likely to trust people, especially people who deal with boats, marinas etc. so it is easy to fall into believing what they tell us even if the "form" agreement says something else.  However, I am sure if even on our little forum we started a thread called "Rip-Offs We have Experienced involving our Boats" we would have more than enough posts.  Maybe I should quit my in-house legal job and hang a shingle on the side of the Jenny Jewel?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

waterdog

Quote from: lazybone on October 27, 2010, 07:16:25 AM
Steve, my apologies for that post.
Sometimes my ADD kicks and reading is a chore.

No need to apologize!  I have a link to a 10000 word essay.   Better that people know up front what it is and then they can choose whether to go and read it or not.     My original introduction to the link wasn't straightforward.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

if even on our little forum we started a thread called "Rip-Offs We have Experienced involving our Boats" we would have more than enough posts.

Why not just do it right here?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Heyman

---Horrible story Steve,

At least you boat is ok. I assume that, to date, you have paid the original amount of the contract but not a whole lot more? I did read the blog but I still wasn't sure. I think you have provided some valuable insight into the delivery process for the rest of us.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Bradc00

It is a shame but many trucking companies use these same scams, there is a cool website you could check reviews on moving companies or write from personal experience.