Tall Rig Vs.Standard identification

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Here's a puzzling one for me :?
Pau hana is a 1988 (Hull #791)  I think she is a tall rig but am not absolutely certain.  Is there an easy way to identify the different rigs just by looking?  On the Catalina 30's it's quite easy to spot the tall rigs because of the bowsprit.  Is there an equally easy way to do so with the 34's?
If not, I may go back to Catalina and inquire to see what there original specs indicated.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Gary Brockman

No, unless it is next to another boat that you know the mast height, like a Catalina 36 which is the same as a C34 tall rig. There is only a two foot difference.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Stu Jackson

Kevin, why not just measure it?  You have the boat.  :D If you don't have a manual, which has the spar dimensions, there's probably one on the website somewhere...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Asbury

Kevin, you could attach a tape measure to a halyard to determine the mast height.  Standard rig is 49'7".
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Kevin Henderson

DOH!!  :abd:
You are soo right... I'll either attach a tapemeasure this weekend and find out.  My suspician is she is a tall rig.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

gwp

Kevin....I dealt with this too. You might find that getting an accurate measurement to waterline is harder than one would think....it was for me. Though it will work with a two ft margin of error, I called Catalina with my Hull # and had a conclusive answer in a couple minutes.

Stu Jackson

You do NOT have to measure to the waterline.

Just look at the manuals which show the length of the SPAR (the mast extrusions) for both deck and keel stepped masts.

Not that hard to deal with the offset of two feet.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : In a past Mainsheet article, I told owners to look at the tape written decal that's on the inside track of your keel stepped mast.  It gives the hull number and lets you know if it's a "Standard" or a "Tall rigged mast!  Not to sure where it is on the deck stepped masts, but I'm sure it's there.

Good information in those old Mainsheet tech notes, but you have to read them.    A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Brockman

The standard rig has an "I" of 44 feet and the tall rig has an "I" of 46 feet. Just measure to the deck.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

mtmaksim

Ron:

I just dug through all the old Tech Notes, looking for the post about the decal in the track.  I've found this tape, but can't find the deciphering "code" in the tech notes. 

When you have a minute - would you know what year it was?     

Thanks!
Mike Maksimchuk

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 26, 2010, 06:41:10 PM
Guys : In a past Mainsheet article, I told owners to look at the tape written decal that's on the inside track of your keel stepped mast.  It gives the hull number and lets you know if it's a "Standard" or a "Tall rigged mast!  Not to sure where it is on the deck stepped masts, but I'm sure it's there.

Good information in those old Mainsheet tech notes, but you have to read them.    A thought
Mike & Anne Maksimchuk
1989 C34 #880  "Sisu"
Mk I, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Whitehall, MI
People - Kent City, MI

britinusa

And a link to that post would be helpful too.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : Find the tape, write down the numbers and letters and I believe that you can decipher it!!
As I recall it includes your hull #.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

uhhhhhh, why not just call CTY with the hull number?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : The tape is located near the bottom of the mast that is setting in the mast shoe. 
Ron, Apache #788