AC/DC Power supply Unit

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Volk

After getting tired of listening to my Xantrex Truecharge2 40A charger coming on every 10-15 minutes all night in port because of the refrigeration being on, I decided to add an separate AC to 12V system as described by John Nixon.  I added Part #137649 power supply from Jameco (Mean Well S-240-12 Pwr. supply unit 12V/18A with the output set at 13.2V), a VF4-45F11 Tyco relay and a on/off Sw. on the distribution panel. It seems to work for about an hour or two & then the Power supply unit shuts down & the relay drops off. I then turn the switch off and then on again & the PSU starts again, operates the relay & I get power to the refrigeration unit again for another hour or so.  The PSU is mounted in the locker below the chart table & has plenty of ventilation even though I hear it's internal fan every so often. I contacted a technical support person at Mean Well & went over the refrigeration specs with him & he says this unit should handle it with no problem. Before I disconnect it & send it back for a replacement I was wondering I was wondering if anybody else has used this exact PSU and, if so, how has it worked.

Thanks,
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

Ron, no input on your specific question, but how big is your house bank?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Volk

Stu,

I have a 110 Ah starting battery & 310 Ah house bank,

Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA