1987 Tall Rig - Can't Raise Main Fully

Previous topic - Next topic

augustwinds

We just bought a 1987 Catalina 34 Tall Rig - on the sea trial the main would not raise to the top of the mast - it was about a foot shy with slack in the main near the boom.    The broker released the topping lift (we think) and then we were able to get the sail all the way to the top.      Today was our first day out on our own.    Same thing with the main again - stopped about a foot from the top and this time we had released the topping lift before we tried to raise the main.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on?????

Thanks,   Kathy

S/V August Winds III
1987 Catalina 34
Barnegat Bay, NJ

Indian Falls

Congrats on a purchase I feel you will not regret.

The tall rig is really only 2 feet more than a standard.  On ours, a standard, the main was very difficult to bring to the top.  I (mistakenly) put lithium grease in the track on the mast and on the guides attached to the sail.  This made a mess as the greasy aluminum oxide got all over the sail.
It did however help in getting the main up all the way.  But that was last season.  This season I cleaned the sail guides and as much of the mast groove as possible.  I then used WD-40 which also is not recommended, but it has worked well and has not stained my sails.  I also learned that winching from the cockpit is a lot more difficult than pulling the halyard at the mast before it turns in the blocks at the deck to go to the winch.  There is a lot of drag between the winch and the top of the sail on mine and I am suggesting that you may have a similar problem.  Have you tried pulling the main up from the mast where the halyard goes up while your mate takes up slack with the winch?  It sure seemed to me that the hardest was that last foot and I'm sure it's just from too much drag in the hauling components.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

John Sheehan

Kathy,

Be sure the mainsheet and boom vang have enough slack to allow the aft end of the boom to move up as the sail is raised to the top.

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

tommyt

I think that John has your answer. Release tension on the leach( main or vang) and it should go up. Obviously, coming head to wind  relieves tension in sail track as well.The topping lift should not be your issue as it does not put pressure on the leach.

Clean your track, but do not lubricate it.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ron Hill

Guys : The only lube to help the mainsail slides is Dry Teflon (it's alcohol base).  It does work and will not stain the sail.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

augustwinds

Thanks all!   Will try taking pressure off and see what happens.....     hope to get her out one more time before end of season.    We enjoyed the sail anyway even though the main looked a little sloppy!!

- Kathy

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

McLube is a good product to use on sail slides and blocks. It comes in a spray can and is availavle at West Marine or McDonalds (just kidding abouy McDonalds)   :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ted Pounds

Another good, non-greasy lube is Dry-Lube by Elmers.  It was highly rated in Practical Sailor and is much cheaper than McLube.  It does leave a bit white residue.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

sailaway

Kathy  I own a 1986 34 catalina. I had the same problem. Is the main sail origanal. Mine was. the problem with mine was the line inside the front of the main sail had shrink by a foot over the years. Some sail makers can make it longer. I got a new main. Charlie

Kyle Ewing

I second making sure the main sheet and boom vang are loose.  I also sometimes use the topping lift to raise the boom above horizontal.  It makes raising the main easy because you're not lifting the weight of the boom with the main halyard.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

gwp

I think Charlie has identified your problem. The bolt rope inside the luff has shrunk. Same happened on a C30 I owned once. If main is still in good shape sailmaker can replace and restitch. Shouldn't be over $100. Good luck

Stu Jackson

If you are a C34IA member, you can access the Tech Notes Online.  The Aug 2006 Mainsheet has an article on this very issue.  I found it by going to the Knowledgebase on the C34 Tech Notes page, did a CTRL-F search on "bolt."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."