12 volt Coffee maker search

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

Hi All,

Has anyone found a 12 volt coffee maker that works on the boat when out away from shore power.  We try not to use the stove top during the hot Texas summer because it adds heat to an already hot and humid boat.  Cyndi and I really want that hot cup first thing in the morning!  I have tried the "Burton coffee to go" model that I bought from Wholesale Marine, but we had to send it back because the unit did not work right.  Heated the water, but did not pump the hot water through the filter basket into the pot.  Fellow coffee addicts out there please let us know what you do for hot coffee out away from the slip.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Stove top kettle, Melita filter #6 into a thermos, even in the HOT< HOT California Delta during summertime.  I kinda frown on using valuable and rare electricity to make hot water.  Have you tried a BBQ to heat water?  It's outside.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

I'm going to offer an alternative to Stu's suggestion, because my ex really needed her coffee. Ten minutes on the 1000 watt inverter only consumed maybe 8 or 9 amp hours (I'm not going to bother with the math tonight). Here's a really good coffee maker: http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/built_in_coffee_makers_page.asp
You might find it elsewhere on the Internet cheaper. The stainless caraffe kept coffee warm for hours.

You also don't need a fancy pure sine wave invertor to run resistance heating devices, only sensitive things like microwaves or some types of chargers.

To quote a famous sailor "Your boat, your choice"

Craig

Stu Jackson

Drats, I forgot: do a search on coffee! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdream

Roc

I bought a 12v coffee maker at a truck stop for about $20-25.  It has a glass caraffe.  It's only a 4 cup.  Coffee is ok, but doesn't come out that hot.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

MarkT

We always use a French Press. If you don't want to have the heat from the stove in the boat then the old cruisers standby of using a coleman stove in the cockpit may be the way to go.

wind dancer

We use a french press too.  At 6 or 7 it's never too hot to boil water, though our summers are obviously milder than yours.  Even on a 90+ degree day, it won't be much above 60 at sunrise.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Rick Johnson

I've managed to break my French Press ( OK, I've actually broken 2).  Does anyone use a lexan or all stainless steel French Press?  I know they are out there, just wanted to know if anyone has a recommendation.

Also, has anyone tried or use a manual coffee grinders?

Hot coffee on the boat is a requirement....

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

David Baer

I use a Nissan stainless French press and my rail mounted propane grill during the hot months in Texas.  No heat in the cabin, good views while the water heats and excellent coffee!
1987 Hull # 474

Jim Hardesty

I have a lexan one, bought it from a camping place.  Makes good coffee but the grounds are messy.  Usually I use a small 120v coffee maker that makes a thermal mug size.  As I'm the only one that drinks coffee it's just right and it works great off the inverter.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : I have a Nisson French press that's incoperated in a stainless thermos container.  Put boiling water in to the thermos to "warm" it up and then boiling water to make the coffee.  If you're in a hurry and don't want to clean up later, use filter packs!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

2ndwish

At the risk of piling on... my wife insisted I post this response. French presses make great coffee, but they are a bear to clean out, especially on a boat. For boats and camping, she prefers an AeroPress (by Aerobie-yes the same people who make the frisbee like disk). The press is basically a big plastic syringe with a small paper filter in the bottom. They are extremely efficient for small cups o' coffee (it makes espresso also). You heat just as much water as you need, pour it into the syringe with ground coffee (ala french press),stir, put the piston in the syringe and press. The coffee passes through the filter on the bottom, leaving nothing in the chamber. Unlike the french press, the waste grounds are wrung of their excess water and cleaning is as simple as unscrewing the bottom-filter holder, continuing to press and a solid block of grounds pops out. Since the syringe is rubber (silicone?) it self cleans as it is pressed. You need only wipe the bottom surface after the grounds pop out. That said, each press only makes enough coffee for one person. I also find the coffee is not as hot as I would like-something about volume/surface area ratio. She disagrees reminding me that a good cup of coffee is never boiled. 

Todd