C34 Capsize 'Not Good'?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Dan,

I feel your pain.....For all the benefits the blogs, facebook, etc give us...come the trials and tribulations of finding that data if you don't read it real time.  I read the blog about Steve's knockdown, if I remember correctly it was off the California coast...so that would be somewhere before the middle of his blog.  It wasn't titled with any of the words you searched on because at the time it was reporting on what happened, wasn't written with an easy to find "sheet happens" title.

Please remember that Waterdog's blog is on a different server (ISP).  You can't search his blog here.  You can search and find the link to his blog, then you are left with what ever services the blog provider supplies. 

That doesn't mean we don't want the stories, there are places on the Cruising Wiki designed for just that.  But for the most part, this forum deals with technical issues.  Sorry, but that's just how it is.

As Stu said, if the C34 is operated with some common sense, it will take more than the operators/owners feel comfortable with.  If you want to feel secure in almost all coastal cruising situations, it won't dissappoint you...if you want to live on the edge, then it probably isn't the boat you want.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Sheet Happens, from Steve's blog:  http://sailblogs.com/member/blackdragon/?xjMsgID=100425

Ya just gotta follow the links I already gave you in this topic, and you can find it.  That's just how I did it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Quote from: indianfalls on October 22, 2010, 03:25:15 PM
I've read Steve D's posts with great admiration.  

I also admire anyone who can seem to manage the info in this forum.  

You can't find "sheet" on this forum... or "happens".  

I plugged in all the key words, I followed Stu's links, I searched for Waterdog, Steve and Dolling nothing is coming up with any reference to "knock down" "broach" "round up" etc...  Its been about an hour of digging and reading so far and I've thrown in the towel.  I even went back twice to look again before submitting this post!

Seems like the only way I'll see it is if somebody who knows how to put the word in the search box a certain magical way will paste it into this thread.  I thought I did a thorough search prior to my comment asking if the story had been posted before, but now I'm just defeated.

PS, Steve: please feel free to monopolize the forum!  Your experiences, comments and point of view are what I was hoping to find when I came to the forum.

PPS: for the last 30 minutes before editing this post, I paged back to August 27 2009 and still there is no post titled "sheet happens" or any post about a tip over.    U N C L E!  U N C L E!!!
Dan.   It's not on this forum.  It's on my Blog.   Hang on.  I'm going to go find it for you and post it here....
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Whoops.   I see Stu posted a very direct link just above.  Damn he's good.   I posted the story separately as "Cape Mendocino Round Up Experience"  I promise that "3 Steves, 2 Lesbianas, 1 Chubasco and Now They're Shooting at Canadians" will never grace the C34 website...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Indian Falls

Hi Stu,  This link: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html  contains the 1500 mile interm report it is two pages an none of Steve's entries contain a knockdown story.  The second page, in the last reply contains a link to 5000 miles of broken bits.  Again nothing there about the knock down.  Not really looking for horror stories per se ...

This link: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5502.0.html   leads to Capsize Screening ratio from March of 10 and again no references or contained links via Steve's reply's. 

So exactly how are you finding this story via these links??? I do admit I did not do any searching outside the this forum for Steve's Blog.

Now this link:  http://sailblogs.com/member/blackdragon/?xjMsgID=100425  went right to it. But obviously is not on the forum as the replies in "C34 Capsize "not good"  suggest.

What the heck am I doing wrong that you can get there with your posted links??!!

Sorry All, I didn't really want to do this here but it may help others figure out how to navigate better so Stu, Ron and Ken can keep their blood pressure at safe levels!!  ;-)
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Dan, my apologies, but my blood pressure isn't an issue here.  :D  And there's no problem, I'm glad you asked.

You wrote:  Hi Stu,  This link: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html  contains the 1500 mile interim report it is two pages an none of Steve's entries contain a knockdown story.

and

So exactly how are you finding this story via these links??? I do admit I did not do any searching outside the this forum for Steve's Blog.

The "trick" is to use the Links-Within-The-Links.  Reply #3 in that thread went directly to Steve's blog.  Then, within the blog, is a Table of Contents of all of his entries.

That's how I got there.

Please let me know if there's anyway that I can help even more with linking to other articles.  I learned a long time ago that just saying "It's there, go find it" is not the right way to help people.  I mistakenly thought getting you to Steve's blog would do it the first time around.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."