Dutchman Book Brake

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweetybd

If you've installed a Dutchman Boom Brake, I'd appreciate knowing the equipment and attachment points that you used.

Jon Arck
Tweety Bird #1346
San Francisco Bay

Rick Niles

Jon,

I've attached my boom brake to the  aft lowers, very similar to the example in their instructions.

I leave a short loop of webbing and then clip on the brake with carabiners. There is a 4:1 purchase on one side that is led aft to the cockpit to a cam cleat. Once the brake itself is adjusted with the knob, much of the tension can be adjusted through the purchase.  It works great. I've done 25 knot jibes singlehanded, over an over heading up to the delta with no problem.  It needs a lot of tension if there' s much wind, but it's still a soft landing without touching the sheet.  The one downside is with all that mainsheet flapping around it can get fouled, so  it's still best to sheet in through the jibe, just to keep it clean.  The brake also gives you time to head up in an unintentinal jibe- not much, but enough.  It won't stop the boom- it just slows it down as the name implies.

Did you change your prop yet?

Rick Niles
Gentle Storm 1294

hdevera

I'm curious how you placed the cam cleat for the boom brake line led to the cockpit.  Is there much tension on it?  A description on how and where you placed the cleat would be helpful.  Thanks.

Tweetybd

Rick, thanks for your information; I'll take another look.

No, we didn't get the new prop; it's going to wait until haulout in December or next year, since we're getting a new main and 130 genoa from Quantum.

Rick Niles

Hal,

The cam cleat is on the side of the house, near the aft edge, so it leads directly into the cockpit. There is a fair amount of tension on it, but since it is lead from a 4:1 purchase, it's pretty manageable.  The tension adjustment for the system is that, and the knob on the brake.

Rick Niles
Gentle Storm #1294