unwelcome guests

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

While we prefer the privacy and serenity of bobbing around our mooring ball, it is nice to occasionally tie up at a slip to recharge batteries, have access to electrical and not have to haul our dink off the rack and oar to the mother ship. Our harbor master accommodated us and assigned us a slip for a few days so I could attend to some of these matters. All was well until yesterday, when my wife and I planned to head out for a early fall sail. I got to the boat a few minutes before her and noticed a pile of poop in the cockpit. As I had heard some discussions, a few days previous, regarding raccoons getting into boats I was very concerned. My worst fears were realized upon removing the companionway boards. ---complete disarray and scat everywhere. Food containers broken into-cushions upended-food and packaging debris all over the place. Fortunately (or not)- no sign of the critter)s). So after a few hours of cleaning, it appeared that there had been no major damage. I initially was concerned that they would have ripped up the upholstery. The animals evidently got in through the screened port on the starboard side accessing the aft cabin. I had stupidly forgotten to lock it, as this is our habit when  on the mooring can. It provides good ventilation and rain water seldom gets in.
We went to dinner after the cleanup and I decided to go back to the boat. It was now dark and raccoons are nocturnal, so I was curious. Incredibly as I was stepping onto the boat I was greeted by a large raccoon (I would guess -a 30 pounder). He or she showed no fear. I did quickly leave, as I have had encounters with these guys before and they can be nasty. I boarded the boat adjacent and made some noise and finally the critter ambled off down the dock. There was no evidence that he had gotten into the cabin. The harbor master had suggested moth balls as a deterrent so I sprinkled some on the dock, At home we have used ammonia soaked rags which they seem not to like.

Lessons learned:

• lock everything before deboating

make sure all food is really sealed tight as the smells may have attracted them  they had a particular affinity for a plastic tub of pretzels which based on the evidence must have adversely affected their digestion

get back to the mooring, as there, we only have to worry about starlings nesting in the ventilation ducts connected to the aft clam shell air scoops(different story for a different day)

As an aside the marina folks have been setting traps as raccoon infestation has been a particular problem this year. I'm told about 30 raccoons have been caught and hauled away but estimates are that at least that many remain.

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

tonywright

Wow, what a nasty surprise. Thanks for sharing the warning.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jack Hutteball

Here in the pacific Northwest we have a family of sea otters that has become rather pesky around our marina.  They come aboard and literally make a nest in a boat that is not used or visited frequently.  They really make a mess and a stink that is hard to remove.  They prefer getting in under canvas or enclosed dodgers/cockpits where they can hide.  I have not been boarded yet, and hope to keep it that way.  Lights and a radio turned on will usually deter them.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

sailingdream

We had two get into powerboats over the winter, Just made a complete mess. Both boats had to be stripped down to the hull.

Not one winter doesn't go by without hearing that either a powerboat on the hard or a sailboat in the water storage isn't visited by a raccoon. I believe it was last yr. One of the wood sailboats we have at my club, had 4 or 5 baby raccoons.

I could go on and on and on about raccoon stories. From attacking one owner and shredding his pants to entering the clubhouse and enjoying a fest on the trashcans in the kitchen.

Also last yr we had 2 dingys totally chewed up as is they went thru a wood chipper by muskrats.

Ken Heyman

I guess we were really lucky that the boat wasn't completely trashed. Evidently they had enough food to keep them occupied without ripping into the upholstery. Currently there are moth balls on the dock and in the cockpit, all access is locked and battened down and in a few hours the boat goes back to the mooring can. I don't think raccoons swim too well so hopefully we will be ok. Thanks for the comments.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Lance Jones

One thing we've been doing to rid the area of unwanted 2 - 4 legged pests is through the use of an Airsoft pellet pistol. It fires a bio-degradable pellet and being spring fired as opposed to CO2, it stings; but, doesn't wound (Don't ask me how I know!). Also, it is fairly accurate out to about 10 yards.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

sailingdream

I haven't see it myself, but lets just say that some of the members at the club have tested this question if they can swim.... The answer. NO.

Quote from: Ken Heyman on September 27, 2010, 04:43:09 AM
I don't think raccoons swim too well so hopefully we will be ok.

Ken

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ken,
I think you better check to make sure they didn't steal any of your PFD's      :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bob Kuba

Thanks for the heads up Ken. I'll be heading for the dock in the next day or so to offload some gear. I'll make sure to leave a trail of pretzels to a powerboat.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore