New Catalina 34 Owner

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Spencer

We have now owned our Catalina 34 for just over 24 hrs!  And I'll be transferring ownership of our old and beloved Canadian Sailcraft CS27 to a new enthusiastic sailor this weekend.  :cry4` This board was a very useful resource when we were researching our purchase and I expect I'll have tons of questions as I dive into the details of the systems on the boat. The PO did the electrical upgrade as documented by Jim Moe.
Unfortunately, we only have another two weeks before we have to haul her out for the winter. In that time I have to move her from Wiarton to Lion's Head Ontario and step the mast. 
I'll be joining the C34IA and I'm looking forward to help and advice from this board.  Hopefully someday I'll be able to answer questions others have.   
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Dave and Kathy,

Congratulations.  You'll now have the happiest two weeks of your life. :clap

And while the mast is down, I figure you know exactly what to do:  masthead sheaves, low draw anchor light, wax mast, install flag halyards on port & starboard spreader, check steaming light...

I could go on and on.  I only get to do this once a decade!

Welcome to our world! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Thanks for the welcome Stu.  We haul out with a crane instead of a travellift so we get to step our masts every year.  Whooo hooo.   I'm very familiar with the drill!  The PO's marina can haul with the mast up so it hasn't been down for about 5 years.  I'll give the sheaves a good going over.  Halyards look to be in great shape.  I'll likely add a spinnaker block and halyard in the hopes that I can get a cruising spinnaker / DRS eventually for the light air days.  Spreader halyards are there but I'll likely renew them.  New LED anchor light... hopefully they'll have some good deals on them at the Toronto Boat Show (i.e. Christmas) in January.
We're excited to have such a "new" boat.  Our former boat was a 1978 CS27 which was and still is a wonderful cruiser with tons of room for two people.  Truly a "Good Old Boat".  I hope Good Old Boat magazine will still accept my subscription now that we have something that is practically brand new.   :D

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

horsemel

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the C34 world.  Don't just check out the mast sheaves.  If you the original plastic ones from the factory, order new ball bearing sheaves from Garhauer.  I replaced mine last spring and it makes a nice difference in raising the main.  The original sheaves have a metal bushing in the center and the ball bearing Garhauers make a difference.  The don't cost that much and it is a simple repair.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Jim Hardesty

Dave,
Welcome.  I sail Lake Erie, and think that the C34 is a good Great Lakes boat.  But, this is Hunter and Beniteau? country, there isn't a Catalina dealer on the lake.  Not a problem, the information from here and the factory is great.  Much better than talking to most dealers.
I too liked my previous boat, an S2 9.2, but the C34 has exceeded my expectations. If I would have know would have bought a C34 a years sooner.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

RV61

Dave,
Welcome aboard from another Lake Erie Catalina Sailor.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie