Looking for C34 but need infor on differences with years? (updated)

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter

We have a C25 '89 SR/WK and are looking at C34 with Shoal draft.  We need the 4ft or less draft here in Eastern NC.

What are the main differences with the C34 in years.  For example if the floor plan changes after year '89.  Or if the Propane locker is vented after year '90.

What is the ideal year for C34?  Why?  (Shallow draft only)

Is there another Longer or shorter version of Catalina (for a certain year) that has that shallow of a draft?

Know of any other boats with shallow drafts?  I know there are some lioke Sabre, Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet, etc....  Old Morgans have some too.

Update: Just noticed the topic about this above.  I hope to have more time to search this.  It seems that this forum is active like the C25 forum.  That's encouraging.

Trouble deciding on boat features = Good problems to have.

Exodus

Ken Juul

There is also the brochures link on the home page that will show you the general layout.  But neither really answer your question.  The interiors stay basically the same on all the C34 models.  If the boat has propane, it is in a vented locker.  Some came with CNG, it is lighter than air so the vented locker is not needed.  With all the changes in the stern came changes in how the  lazerette is designed.

This site is just about the C34, there may be some members that also have info on other boats that will chime in as they see fit.  The only way I see possible to get a 4ft draft in a 34 ft boat is to go either with a full keel or a centerboard.  Both are totally different designs than the C34. 

I know you have some skinny water down there, my boat is originally from the New Bern area.  The previous owners loved it, had to go bigger because of family size.  I think you could learn to live with the 4'6" draft of the shoal keel.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

According to the specifications, the draft of a MK I wing keel is 3' 10", and on a MK II 4' 3". 

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

wind dancer

The Mk I specifications turned out to be too "optimistic" and Catalina later changed them.  I think the Mk II specs are more accurate.  Then, you have to account for loading you boat with gear, water, fuel, people, etc.  The 4'6" draft given above is a good one.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

tonywright

I always wondered about that, especially with many of us finding that the displacement of a MKII is more like 16,000 than 13,000. I'll have to try measuring this winter when on the hard.

Tony
Tony Wright

Ken Juul

I say I'm going to do that every time I pull the boat.....some how I loose the sticky or it doesn't make the work list.  Please do and report back.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

I submit that this issue is one that's been beaten to death.

I recommend a search on "displacement" to read all about it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tonywright

Tony Wright

Stu Jackson

Tony, I was commenting on the displacement, not the draft.  IIRC, the 3-10 was a guess, and also some have mentioned that when you heel the boat the wing keel gets deeper, which is another reason for the 4-3.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kimbel

Scooter:

We've been sailing a 1987 C34 (MK I) around Eastern NC for several years and are very pleased with our shallow-water access.  The boat's compliment of goodies & gear may have some impact on draft from boat to boat, but in calibrating our new depth sounder this year I found that we draw 4'3".  We've only found terra firma once in the many anchorages we've explored (due to a 180o wind-shift and some misjudgment on the captain's fault).  We're based not far from you on the Neuse, and have enjoyed many anchorages from Beaufort to the Albemarle without ever feeling like we needed less draft.

Happy hunting -

Jeff

Ron Hill

Scooter : As Stu mentioned the (design goal was 3'10"), but Catalina admittedly missed it.  The C34 wing keel draft is now listed at 4'3"' but realistically loaded the draft is 4'5" (on the level)
The wing design has evolved over the years and a 1988 wing will slightly draw more HEELED than a 1989 wing !!
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

We have the fin keel, so draw 5'7" (actually just a bit less when fuly loaded), and have sailed in "thin" Florida waters for 6 years without difficulties.  We keep an eye on the chart and another on the fathometer, and except a few times when entering a marina, have never had a serious difficulty.  In our experience, and suspect like most owners, we will not place our craft in a situation where plus or minus a foot of depth is critical.  Would suggest you purchase the best C34 you can find, for the budget you have....wing keel or fin.   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Scooter

Glad to see the activity on this forum.  Like most boating discussions, there are many flavors of opinions for each boat.  It if often both informative and entertaining (sometimes both at the same time).

We are now discussing the step through transom.  Something we didn't know about.  We were looking at an '88 and were wondering why the price jump after that.  Now we know and can make a more informed decision.  We are leaning towards staying with Catalina because of our experience with our 25 and that forum.   You never know.

1. We need shallow draft because we have a personal dock that can get down to about 4' if the wind is strong from the west for a while and the river is emptied of water.  We have no measurable tide except wind tide.  Normal water depth is about 5' +/- but we have to allow for the unusual west wind.  Fin is NOT an option we are considering or likely will consider.  It's not getting around  that's the issue it's the dockage.

2. Jeff-  We have friends that have a boat at Matthews Point and that is a beautiful marina.  If anybody gets a chance you should check it out.  One of the cleanest and best maintained marinas I have seen in Eastern NC.

Ken Juul

What is your river bottom like?  Sitting in muck for a while certainly won't hurt the boat.  If you are concerned about getting back to the dock on a real low tide is it possible to anchor out until the water comes back up?  How about dredging your dock to gain an extra foot or so of depth.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA