New About-to-Be Owner, Hello All!

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan Rash

Hello all -

First off, I would like to say that I have been reading this MB for about 1.5 months, and the amount of knowledge is unparalleled.  So thanks to everyone that contributes.

Secondly, I am about to close on my very own Catalina 34 next month.  I am in love with this boat, and I am super excited.  What I would like to know, is if there are any books that I could purchase that talk about this specific platform and the maintenance required to keep it up.

I will be using my boat as a live aboard.  I am in the Navy based out of Norfolk, VA and I am currently deployed to the Red Sea.  When I get back home mid-November, I am going to sail my boat from Annapolis, MD (where I am buying it) to Norfolk.  I went to a school in Annapolis that gave me a solid foundation on sailing, but it has been a while (couple years) since I have done it.  I know alot of you are reading this and thinking this guy isnt all there, and you may be right, but I thrive on adventure, and I am really looking forward to this...and I dont have much of a choice (limited amount of post-deployment leave to do it in).

What I am asking y'all is for any advice to make a successful voyage down.  I can navigate the water fine, I know rules of the road, I know the points of sail, I am just curious if anyone that has made the trip can give me info on what to expect, and how I should expect the boat to handle. 

I will be in Annapolis with my boat for a few days in November before I head down, so if anyone in the area there would like to give me pointers, I would really appreciate it.  Whew, been away from the states for 5 months now, it feels good to look forward to something like this.

Thanks everyone for reading,
Jordan
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

Ken Juul

Congrats!

The boat is very easy to sail, have your broker take you out a couple times and it should all fall in place.  The bay can get real skinny in many places, watch your charts.  Crab pots will still be out, watch out for them.  If you are doing the trip solo, then you will probably want to stop each night.  10 hours to Solomon's Island, 10 hours to Deltaville, a long day to norfolk, or 2 shorter with a stop on the York River.  Finding the right weather window in Nov may be a problem.  Make sure the prop is clean.  Not too many places to stay between Solomon's and Smith Point.  Before and after many more choices if you want to take your time. 

You can review sail trim in the expert forum at www.catalinaowners.com   Or if you still have a copy of Power and Sail that has a pretty good overview.

Buy unlimited towing insurance, the two vendors on the bay are Boat US and Tow Boat, they are different companies that don't honor each others policies.  Heard good and bad about each.  I think I would see which has the best coverage in the area you are going to frequent and go with them.

Keep the questions coming...

Beat Army!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jordan Rash

Mr Ken -

Thank you very much for the reply and advice.  I will defiantly get my broker to take me out at least once before I sail away with it.  I wont be singling it down to Norfolk...Ill have my fiancee (the boat is a present for her), but I dont know how dirty she will wanna get her hands.  Where is a good place to get a chart?  I will probably have to hand plot GPS on a chart because my boat doesnt have a Chart Plotter yet.  I would be leaving on a Wednesday around noonish and I would like to be in Norfolk Friday around noon-ish....where would you recommend dropping anchor to make that happen?  Thanks again for all the help.

Jordan
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

Clay Greene

Sorry, don't know anything about the cruising grounds for your trip but I will offer a suggestion to be ready to reef when the apparent wind is over 15 knots.  From your model year, you have a Mark I boat and that has a smaller rudder than the Mark II boats.  If you have the 150 genoa, the boat will want to round up once the wind gets stiff.  Over 20 knots apparent, you are going to want to also roll in some of the genny.  I prefer to reef the main first and then take in some of the genny because the genny loses so much shape partially furled but you may be more comfortable reversing that order.  With both sails partially reefed/furled, the boat will stay on its feet well up into the 25-30 knot range.  We follow the rule that if you are thinking about the possibility of reefing you should go ahead and do it rather than be caught out with too much sail up.

I suggest you join the C34IA so you have access to the historical tech notes - that will be an invaluable resource for your boat.  It would have to be a pretty unusual occurrence not to have already been written up either in the tech notes or discussed in this forum.      

Congratulations on your wise purchase and happy sailing!
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Jordan,

Welcome and congratulations.  When you get your boat, please post the hull # and assorted other information to allow us to help you better in your signature.

Only two things to add:

1.  Don't sail on a schedule, ever. It's simply too dangerous.

2.  You do not have to spend any $ buying a book about this "platform."  We've already written the book and it's all here on this website.  Please read the "stickies" on the main page of this Message Board, especially this one: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5260.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jordan Rash

Clay & Mr. Stu -

Thank you both for your replies.  I am really enjoying the hospitality of this forum and its only my first couple post!  Its good to have someone to help me, especially while I am still here in the Red Sea with no one else to lead me any help!

Clay - I will defiantly look into the C34IA when I get back to the states and have the ability to do more research.  I defiantly want access to as much information at possible.  Just by reading your post, I know I need it.  A lot of what you said is Greek to me!  I understood a little bit of it tho.

Mr. Stu - The hull number of the craft I WILL BE buying is #349.  The funny thing, I just found that out 30 minutes ago my searching for the name of the boat on this forum and it popped up!  It is very interesting reading what questions and comments the PO has.  It gives me a little insight on what to expect when I finally get it!

I will certainly have many more questions as the pick-up date gets closer.  Especially when i get my surveyors report here in a few weeks!  Again, thanks to everyone!

Jordan
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

Stu Jackson

Jordan,

I just found Steve's earlier posts, too.  Easy to find, if you do a search on 349 and then find one of Steve's post, click on his name and scroll down and read posts by.  It sure looks like he took good care of his boat and upgraded his electrical systems.

You don't have to wait til you come home to join the C34IA.  Click on Join at the top of these pages and you can pay by PayPal.  The reason to do so is to gain access to the Tech Notes Online, all the reading for the past 20+ years!  It will also make using the Knowledgebase more meaningful for you, since many of the links in it are to the Tech Notes.  The Knowledgebase is accessed as described in the Guide I referenced earlier --- it's an Excel spreadsheet.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

hump180

Understand and get familiar with where you are and where you are going (charts, maps). Invest in a good GPS with built in charts and mount it where you can see it, preferably at the helm. A gps will keep you off shoals, out of shallows, and on course when combined with good seamanship. I have a garmin 545 mounted at the helm on an edson mount. This was the best money spent on the boat, with the only downside being my reliance on the equipment.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Roger Blake

Jordan--You can get Chesapeake Bay charts from many sources...West Marine usually has them in stock...can order online too. I'd also recommend the Guide To Cruising Chesapeake Bay written by BayDreaming (http://www.baydreaming.com/boating.htm). You can order directly from them or thru Amazon...West Marine usually has that in stock too. The cruising guide has a lot of information about marinas, towns, cities along the bay as well has best ways to enter an area. Welcome.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ken Juul

Jordan,
I'm sure your Navigator has some Chesapeake Bay charts he can loan you so you can start your trip planning. Once you get home, paper charts or Chart Books are available at West Marine and other outlets.  As Stu said, you cannot plan your trips like you would in a car.  Too many variables.  You can safely assume you can maintian about 5 kts sog on your trip down the bay.  Rough mileage is 120nm, thats 24 hours underway.  In mid November you have 10 hours between apparent sunrise and apparent sunset, that means you will either be pulling or setting the anchor in the dark.

New to you boat, has it been used or has it been sitting?  I have heard too many horror stories where well meaning folks have gotten into trouble pushing an unfamiliar boat too hard.  You mentioned your fiancee not wanting to get her hands too dirty....scaring her on her first trip may not be in your best interests.

I know leave and getting time off when you are on sea duty can be a real PITA.  But I think you need to come up with a better plan.  I too was in a similiar position, I needed to get my newly purchased boat moved.  Purchased it in New Bern NC, destination Solomon's Island (Pax River, MD).  I took a week off work, left New Bern on a Saturday morning.  Had no breakdowns, but did have several weather events that slowed us down.  At the end of my week I had only made it to the York River (about 2/3 of the way).  If you really can't get the time off to do it right, perhaps split the trip in 2.  First leg to the Deltaville area, come back a week later and take the second leg, or hire a captain to move the boat for you and get to know it better when things warm up in the spring.

Sending you a PM.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

MarkT

I did this trip when I bought my boat.
This in my $0.02

You are going to need some spare parts and the tools to install them.
Alternator belt, at least 2 spare fuel filters, Raw water pump and spare impeller, circulating pump, oil filter and oil, anti freeze.
bulbs for navigation lights, hand held vhf,

If the batteries are not in a known good condition plan on buying one.
Check out your ground tackle. If you need it you may have to survive a blow without an engine if you have engine troubles.
Make sure your sails are rigged correctly and in good shape with reefing that works and roller furler that is without issues.
Inflatable dinghy and outboard. (If you breakdown you will need it)
Propane heater (I had one of the little portable ones)
A warm sleeping bag. November can be cold on the Chesapeake

Be sure to thoroughly test the engine. Get the engine up to temperature and make sure there are no over heating issues or performance issues.

I suggest you bring your laptop along with a small inverter to power it and and USB gps like this one http://www.amazon.com/USGlobalSat-BU-353-WaterProof-Enabled-Receiver/sim/B000V5TV22/2

You can get computer charts from http://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/ncgd.shtml
the software to use them is free. http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Nav_Station_PC_Set-up

You would be well advised to not plan on a tight schedule. The Chesapeake can be an unpleasant place when the weather is bad. A short period chop that is like a washing machine.

It will be a memorable trip and give you confidence in what a great boat you have.
Please keep us informed about your boat and trip down the bay.

Mark Tamblyn

scotty

Jordan, 

Congratulations!!  I also just bought a Catalina 34 (well it's been 2 months).  All the advice I read seems very appropriate,  I just want to add - be really aware of the weather forecasts.  Keep the wind behind you if possible and don't go out if the wind is too strong.  Different people will define "too strong' differently - for me, on a new boat with limited experience 20 knots is a lot.  Above 15 knots a reef is a really good idea till you get things sorted out.  If the weather is questionable, wait for a better window - even if it means not keeping to your schedule.  Oh yes, Thank You for your service to our country.

Scotty
Cat 34 #480
Scotty