aft leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Some suggestions please...I have a leak somewhere aft that I have been trying to track down since I got Shamrock 3 seasons ago.  I don't get much water in, about a cup a day, but is is a come and go thing.  Sometimes none for days.   I have tightened the rudder post seal, changed the o-ring at the emergency tiller port, and looked, looked and looked.  The water collects in the hull depressions before and after the rudder post but I can't see that it comes in at the rudder post.  I think but not really sure that it is rain water.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

Jim,
I find when I wash the boat, if I generously spray around the two flip seats along the rear of the cockpit, water will be seen just where you noticed.  The other place you might want to check is the bedding on the stern rail fittings.  That area will let water into that area.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

They moved the shore power fittings around a bunch on the MK1s.  I think all the MkIIs have them aft above the swim platform.  If yours are there they might be the source.  Also a long shot would be the pedestal base with water migrating aft along the steering cables and dripping by the rudder post.

I second the suggestion that it could be the stern rail feet.  It would take a big blow to get rain blowing with the force of a hose, probably not the seats.  But it wouldn't hurt to run a line of koolaid aroung the rims before closing to see if you get any tracks.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Indian Falls

The engine panel.  It leaks around the fiberglass housing and it leaks around the panel within the housing. (i used regular non silicone interior/exterior caulk on the engine panel housing and made a new cover for the instrument panel) The vent for the horn is 12 holes with direct access to the inside of the boat.  If you no longer have the clear cover, the guages are not water proof at their edges either.  About bedding: Dont forget the stern cleats, blower vents, water/diesel fill ports.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Jim Hardesty

It was the rudder post access cover.  Took me a while with a running water hose over each of the fittings before I found the leak.  The o-ring leaked, and it leaked at the screws, possibly at the bedding.  It's good for now, this off-season it gets re-bedded, new o-ring, and the sheet metal screws thru fiberglass fixed.
Does anyone know the o-ring size?  I have the stainless steel cover.  When I replace the broken original I just matched it at a supply house it could have been wrong.  And the OEM spanner in the emergency rudder kit leaves a lot for improvement, anyone know where to get a good replacement?
Thanks for the tips.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : If you have an "old fashion" hardware store there in Erie, they can make one for you.  Just take the old one in and they will cut a length to size and glue the two ends together.  Don't know what glue they use?, but it can't be pulled apart!! 

Don't know if the MK II cockpit "floor" has a plywood core or not?  If it does, you may want to rebed the screws ASAP !!  You might want to remove the entire fitting and rebed the whole thing.    A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

DarthOccam

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 20, 2010, 05:07:10 AM
And the OEM spanner in the emergency rudder kit leaves a lot for improvement, anyone know where to get a good replacement?

I would also interested in a better tool, if someone has made or come across one.  I've practiced installing the emergency rudder, but had to bend the tool to fit and still wasn't impressed.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Paulus

I had a similar leak and it took me two seasons to track it down.  The hose for the cockpit drain(starboard side) had developed a small hole in the bend. I think due to deterioration and age.
Cool Change 1989 #944

John Sheehan

John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

DarthOccam

Thanks, John.  That does look much better.  Will have to check it out next time I'm in West Marine (which is way too often with a new boat).

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA