C355 Photos

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Gerry Douglas gave a talk/slideshow about the 355 at the Rendezvous.  He said the market was driving boat design.  Women want the bright open condo like interiors, men are more after performance.  Cost/availability of materials dictate how much and which woods they use.  Although he didn't come out and say it, I think the 350 and 440 were designed to look more like a Hunter because they were loosing market share.  He did say he wanted to go in a different direction, so the 455 and then 355 were designed with a smaller freeboard and lower coach roof to give a more streamlined look, and he did all he could to increase the performance and ease of operation.

Ron, did I miss any key points?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

I'm not sure I buy the smaller freeboard.  I think that is more a relative comparison. Based on the pictures, I notice a very high boot stripe, which is something Hunter does to camouflage a very high freeboard.  I bet the freeboard is still on the high side.  About the market driving design, that's too bad.  I've felt Catalina was more of a sailing boat and not a dockside entertainment boat.  Looks like things have moved away from their heritage.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

QuoteI've felt Catalina was more of a sailing boat and not a dockside entertainment boat.  Looks like things have moved away from their heritage.

That was much of Gerry's focus on the new designs.  The pictures are probably from one of the first sails.  No water, little fuel, empty holding tank, no personnal gear.  After the new owner starts adding all the personal stuff, it will probalby ride much closer to the waterline stripe.

Not defending, just trying to provide info.  I still in the love my 34 camp.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

wind dancer

Wow, lots of hate for the 355.  When I first saw it I was thrilled that they replaced the 350 with what appears to be an improved 34.  Aside from the modern art sink and the strange protuberances aft of the helm, it looks like a hell of a boat. 

I called the factory yesterday and found out it actually has standing headroom (6'9")!  I also love the taller lifelines (whoever thought 24" lifelines were a good idea?), the water-tight bulkhead, larger tanks, heavier displacement and "ocean" hatches. 

I love my 34, but everything I'd change about it has been corrected on the 355.  I just need to win the lottery now. . .
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

waterdog

Noticeably absent are photos of the main salon, nav, and aft cabin.   It's almost like their upholstery team hadn't arrived yet, but the photographer was ready to go so they shot anyway...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Clay Greene

I like the instrument mounting option in the cockpit to keep the pedestal guard open looking forward.

Too many sharp lines both interior and exterior in my opinion. Looks like a Beneteau to me on the inside and that is not a positive.

The mast does look to be too far forward. What is with the lack of windows? And the asymmetrical bowsprit seemed silly to me on the 445 - it is far more obnoxious on this boat because of the smaller LOA.

I can see pluses and minuses in all of the recent Catalina designs but this is the only one I can say I definitely would not buy at any price. Certainly not at 200K+.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

c34no1471

As one of those proud C34 owners (in my case, a year2000 MKII) who has questioned the design of the C355, I must be honest and ask the following:  would the original (MK1) owners have reacted in a similar fashion to the MKII when it appeared in 1996?  The walk-through transom, more beam aft, and stern rail seats, for example, were probably seen as fairly radical at the time.  Just a thought.
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

George, no really.  One must remember that there were two intermediate models of the C34.  The Mark 1 1/4 with the scoop stern and the Mark 1 1/2 with the walk through transom.  Many of us Mark I guys have added stern perch seats.  Radical?  N.  Evolutionary? Yes.  In addition, the underbody is the same, which allows us all to cruise and race together.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wayne

I think that a point that might made is that Catalina is market driven, as must any successful boat builder.  One of the things that I really like about my 34 is the traditional good looks of the design . . . emphasis on 'traditional'.  My adult children on the other had would prefer something more modern looking, like a Beneteau or even (choke and gag) a Hunter.  I don't know what the average age of most of us here is, but I'd bet we classify more as 'mature adults' than 'young adults'.  Beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder, and Catalina probably needs to start to appeal to a younger demographic group of buyers.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Stu Jackson

Wayne, I truly wonder what the age of the skippers who are now the third, fourth or more owners of the Mark I boats may be. :D :D :D

One of the continuing 'themes" about the newer boats is, for me at least, the inherent lack of good seakeeping berths, and handholds down below -- I find I NEED mine VERY often.  waterdog's trip to Mexico gave him some insight to the necessity of both.

I'd certainly be more comfortable in our V berth than this new one.  Heck, I could sleep sideways if needed because there's space even for me at 5-10 and shrinking! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

In my opinion, the "core" issues are frequency and type of expected use.  We actually sail our C34, spending as little time as possible at a dock or on a mooring.  Consequently, hand-holds, storage, sea-berths, ease of maintenance, etc. are more than nice.  Having said this, we are older teachers, have summers and Christmas off, so have the time to actually sail.  If we had been looking for a larger boat, 10 to 15 years ago, when we had minimal time to actually sail, I suspect we would have looked at brands that offered a more comfortable dock-side condo feel, as that is where most of the time would have be spent.  So, does the new 355 appeal to us...doubtful....but then neither does a double-ended blue-water craft, given our coastal cruising usage.  I have shown pictures of the 355 to my classes (older students and mostly non-sailors) and they think it looks "...cool" while our 1990 design looks "...kinda old."  It would be interesting to know if CY showed its designs to a focus group, before proceeding, and the average age of that focus group.  Just some thoughts.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

cmainprize

As we all know, every boat is a compromise.  Gain a little here, lose a little there.  It's hard to form an opinion from pictures and drawings.  But, I would trade my MK11 in a heartbeat for this boat.

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Exodus

FWIW as to Stu's question as to the age of skippers here, I am 35 and recently purchased my MK1 this past May.  I previously owned a 1981 Hunter 27.  I like the classic lines and design of the MK1 better than the newer designs.  I would have preferred the walk through transom MKII, but it was not worth the extra 10-15 grand premium to me.

Also while boat shopping I found that I could have purchased a newer Hunter (late 90's) with the new look and walk through transom for the same price as the Catalina 34, but I just do not like the newer Hunters.

I will admit that I do like the sink in the 355, but after reading others thoughts realized that it probably would be very impractical.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Joe Kern

Hey Ken.  Age or age range of boat owners for MKI and MKII boats might be an interesting poll question.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl