muffler petcock

Previous topic - Next topic

bjmansfield

The petcock on the muffler has just about gone away.  it is not leaking (yet) but certainly couldnt drain the muffler with it either.  Has anyone replaced one of these??.  
Does the petcock just screw into the muffler or does it have a gasket/backing nut inside the muffler?  
I assume the later as it looks like it will be a bear to replace if that is the case.

thanks
Jack :confused:

bjmansfield

Ron:

Thanks once again for the good info.  And are boats fun or what?  This weekend i get to dive and scrape barnacles from the prop and shaft, replace zincs, clean the waterline, clear the thru-hulls and replace a petcock in a muffler full of black,oily diesel exhaust water.  Such a deal...

Jack

Stu Jackson

...getting a few friends to help?

Jack,

I know singlehanding can be great fun, and sometimes when it comes to boat work, that seems to be all that does happen.

It just occurred to me:  Ron suggested that you raise the muffler 3 to 4 inches to avoid all that wonderful muffler gop doing things you don't want it to do when you replace the petcock.

Is there any chance you could get a few cheerful, helpful comrades to occupy your cockpit and helmsman's seat to lower the stern of the boat while you do that?  You could also get 'em to bring the anchors back aft with them for some additional weight.

The added advantage to them:  they could pretend to go fishing while you're diving and you could be the "Big One That Got Away!"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."