New Owner of C34 "Pau Hana" #791 in San Diego

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

After many long months  which ultimately stretched into 2 ½ years, I have finally found my Catalina 34 and am now the proud owner of "Pau Hana", a 1988 MK 1.  It is without doubt that the time I have spent here "lurking" in the shadows and reading the numerous posts helped me to build my knowledge base on all things great and small concerning the Catalina 34.  I have posted a few question in the past and received a flood of solid, well informed advice and suggestions that allowed me to eliminate some of the earlier contenders that I had look at. 
Pau Hana is Hawaiian for "End of work" which was appropriate since we had lived in Hawaii while I was active duty in the Navy.  She has a very light grey hull "Haze Grey" that warmed my heart immediately because every ship I had served on in the Navy was also grey.  She is hull #791 and a USCG documented vessel and thankfully I will not be changing her name.  She has a new (2006) engine wiring harness and upgraded electronics throughout.  She has the improved replacement alternator bracket and many more improvements critical to a vessel of her age.  She has been maintained regularly and her bottom, while soon due for a painting is blister free and her rudder and shaft are sound (including the new cutlass bearing).  During my out of water survey (which I learned of the importance here in this forum) my surveyor pointed out every detail I needed to know to increase my knowledge and comfort of my new boat.
I can tell you that when the right boat comes along, she will find you and not the other way around.  The day we conducted the sea trials in San Diego bay, my last ship I had served upon and commissioned (USS Howard DDG-83) was coincidently headed out to sea.  At the boatyard waiting for the travel lift for Pau Hana, a large motor yacht berthed next door curiously had a hailing port of "Adel Iowa"... No kidding... Iowa.... Never have I seen this on a boat in San Diego or anywhere....... Yes.... I am originally from Iowa.
The questions and the need for knowledge and skill is now only about to begin and I will depend heavily on the extensive knowledge base of this online forum for the answers I seek to the questions I will ask. 
Conversely, I can now offer first hand advice and suggestions on the details of finding the right Catalina 34 and even suggest ways to handle the purchase without a broker.
Finally, I am going to post a separate topic on the best Marine Surveyor I have heard of.  I want folks to know what an invaluable resource a good surveyor is as well.
I will be moving her to her new berth this weekend and beginning my adventure.
Thank you in advance for your support, knowledge, answers and suggestions.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Bill Sedgwick

Kevin,
Welcome! Please see the reply I sent to the new owner of #571 in San Diego. We would like for you to join is at the SDCatA34 Association at SGYC.

Bill Sedgwick
SGYC.org
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031