Wing Keel on a Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

kmsailing

We are looking at a Catalina 34 that has a wink keel.  We had been looking for a fin keel but a wing keel came up.  I am wondering how the performance compares between a wing keel and a fin keel.  We are planning   on using the boat in puget sound where depth is not a issue.  I would appreciate any insight you can give me between the two configurations.

Thanks

Stu Jackson

I just did a search on "+wing+keel" and found this, among many others:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4051.0.html  You can read them all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

One man's opinion, but after speaking with lots of owners of both keel configurations, there seems to be a minimum difference, if any, between a modern wing keel and a full fin keel.  Any differences of opinion seem to be more a matter of what is owned than based on actual performance data.  In our case, we purchased a C34 with a fin keel, so guess what, we prefer a fin keel, even in the thin waters of Florida.  We recently looked at a possible move to a 387, but the admiral didn't like the wing keel on the vessel (amoung other things).  So, if the C34 you are looking at is in reasonable shape, at a reasonable price, suggest you take, whichever keel it has....not many C34s around.  Just an opinion or two.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ken Juul

If you look at the attached "Polar Diagrams" you will note at wind angles less than 45° the fin keel theoretically will carry a bit more speed than the shoal draft.  However, it should be noted that the polar diagrams were produced by different computer programs, so it may just be a programming difference.  In actuality, the condition of the sails, sail trim, standing rigging, weight distribution, etc. will effect how high the boat points more than the type of keel.

You said "we" are looking.  I will assume it is two of you, if more, it applies to each prospective owner.  I suggest each of you make a list of the things the boat "must have" and "don't want".  Do it seperately then compare and consolidate into one list all can agree on.  Then go find the boat that is the closest match to the list, avoiding any that have any don't want features.  There is nothing worse than buyer's remorse....I really wish my boat had "X"...just a few months after the purchase.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stewartn

Having sailed fin keels for years and having C34, #1472, Wing Keel for 3 years; I can find no difference the performance re: keel. IMHO any differences would be more related to the condition and cut of the sails and their trim on any point of sail. I am a lifelong fin keeler and I can't tell the difference with my wing.

I did have one problem: We used to get hauled on a hydraulic trailer which worked well on the fin boats. Found out the Catalina 34 wing is 38" tip to tip. The trailer arms were 40" apart. We came out and went back in only once. When I got my heart out of my throat I went to a boat yard with a travel lift for the off season.

Rgds
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Lance Jones

The only difference I note on Kitty's Cat (Wing), is that she doesn't point as well into the wind as other fin keel boats. However, unless you're racing, this really isn't tooo noticeable. A C34 is awesome regardless of the type keel you have.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe Kern

I agree that my wing keel does not seem point quite as high as some keel boats I sail near, but as a non-racer I don't think the difference is significant.  For sailing on the ICW and for my summers in the Abacos I would not want anything but a shoal draft.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Rick Allen

I have a wing keel on my boat and I think it works just fine.  One thing you might want to consider is that if and when you ever ground out, the rudder depth and keel depth is almost the same.  So if you are sitting on mud, you can be sure that your rudder is also stuck. This may cause some rudder damage if you are towed off.  In the attached video of my boat being launched after a bottom paint job, at the one minute time marker, you can see the rudder and the keel hitting the water at about the same time. The vid is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rTrjvQbmo

Good luck on your purchase!  You won't be disappointed either way!
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Steve Sayian

Stewartn,

I also have a wing and launch and haul with a hydraulic trailer.  I 'walk' the boat on and off the trailer instead of using the engine.  We have a floationg dock at the ramp and it's very easy to do and saves banging up the wing.  Just a thought.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

km : The real question is can you live with a 5'9" keel or do you need something more shoal? - like the "wink" keel at 4'3". 
You can get into many more places with the shorter keel!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roger Blake

Ron got to the meat of the story...where you sail will dictate what you need. Here in the Chesapeake, we have many shoal areas...a wing makes sense...I know it save me a few times. You got deep water, and expect to sail in deep water, then fin. Wanna go to the Bahamas, get a wing. Just depends on where ya want to be and what you want to do. I'm a cruiser, not a racer, so wing works well for me. Looking forward to a trip down the intracoastal...glad I have a wing.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

WTunnessen

I'll also cast my vote with Ron's & Roger's.  Its depends where you sail.  In the Chesapeake, I'd say it should be a "no brainer"  - wing keel + tall rig.  :thumb:
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD