Stay sail

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lindrup

I have looked through all C34 archives to see if anyone has installed a staysail stay,halyard etc to be prepared for stormy weather while doing coastal cruising. Has anyone done this & I have just missed it?
I sail mainly in the Great Lakes now but want to cruise the St Lawarence,East Coast, Bahamas, Florida and eventually the Caribbean.
Do you think I can do this with a C34 after I do all of the recommeded upgraes from the C34 site?
Thanks for your advice.
Tom Lindrup
C34  Hull #39  1986   Chog In
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake

Ken Juul

Take a look at the Nov97 technotes.  I think that is what you are asking
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

waterdog

Tom do you want a staysail because of a shortcoming you actually feel with your current sail plan or because people say it is a good thing to do?

There is a lot of "claw me off the leeshore" advice out there much of it from armchair visionaries. It is something to think about.  I would pour my time and money into ground tackle, reefing systems, engine maintainance, knowledge and spares, rig integrity, and safety gear and procedures.  For pure sail performance all round good main, smaller headsail, and a nice asail with a dragon on would be top of my list.  Then i might think about a watermaker under the vberth if I thought i could handle more weight in the bow.  Finally i would probably have to choose between the rum budget vs a cutter rig and the rum would win.

If you cross an ocean, different deal.  You are unlikely to ever have to make 500 miles to weather with no engine. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Tom Lindrup

Steve, thanks for all of the good tips especially the rum inventory.
I have taken some coastal and off shore sessions for the 1500 Caribbean Rally and with John and  Amanda Neal and I guess because they are doing more off shore sailing the all praise the idea of having a stay sail to support a reefed main.
My C34 has in boom furling on the makin so reefing it is easy. I have a 150 Genoa and have reefed it but the effectiveness is pretty marginal. I know the right idea is to be in at the marina when all of the crap weather hits. I will take your suggestions and put my money on the things you list.
Thanks, hope to see your boat on 4/20.
Tom Lindrup
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com

Tom Lindrup

Ken,
Thanks, I will check the tech tips.
Will you be at the Catalina Rendevous on Holland in July? If so, look forward to meeting  you.
Tom Lindrup
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com

Stu Jackson

Tom,

Keep it simple.  Buy a 110 jib and use one or two reefs in your main and you can almost sail anywhere with that rig.  A 150 is simply asking for trouble:  too heavy a rag to sail when winds are light, too much canvas up beyond 8 knots apparent.

I sail with a 110 in light winds, an 85 with our summer heavy winds with a reef in the main from April to September.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Lindrup

Stu,
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are always over canvased here the Great Lakes because the standard is either a 135 or 150 Genoa. I will talk to my sailmaker about the idea of a 110.
Tom Lindrup
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com

Stu Jackson

Tom,

Please don't misunderstand - I didn't intend for you to go "directly to a 110, do not pass GO!" approach.  As you can imagine, it blows like stink here in the summer afternoons, but really over the course of only a mile or so (N/S) and 3 miles (E/W).  That's what we call "The Slot."  The rest of the Bay is pretty much more reasonable.

You may want to consider a slightly bigger jib than just a 110.  For instance, our racers here in Fleet 1 have a max head sail of 130, with fine results (just reef the main a tad earlier than with a 110).

My suggestion is to figure out a maximum sized head sail YOU can live with without having to reef it what YOU consider your "standard" heavier winds (other than storms, of course).  Unless you're willing to jog along, as I am, with less sail but easier effort by the autopilot... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Tom,
I do think it's a good idea to talk to your sailmaker.   :thumb:  My experience:  My boat came with a 135.  When I started racing I generally got my butt kicked.  When I bought a new 155 (as well as folding prop and a new bottom job) I started winning regularly.   For cruising I think you'd do well with a 130 and a cruising spinnaker for for those light-air days that we get plenty of on Lake Michigan.  Just a few thoughts, YMMV...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

John Langford

I moved up to a 140 from the original 135. The sail is great in medium winds but is a bear to sheet in efficiently when beating in confined channels in winds above 15 knots true. I sail alone a fair amount so next time I will go for a 130.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S