Throttle Cable Connection to Engine

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Universal 35B. Yesterday lost throttle control from the pedestal. Apparently, the nut on the end of the throttle cable where it attaches to the engine vibrated loose and the connection broke loose. (I used some SS wire and made it home.) I found a couple of washers but the nut is gone baby gone. Now, before I call Dr. Golden Hands from the local diesel hospital, does anyone know exactly what is needed and how the connection goes together to bring it back to spec? Thx.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Joe Kern

Be glad to send you a picture from the manual tonight if it is in there, or a picture from the boat (but not until next weekend).
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

From the Marine Diesel Direct web site.  Hope this exploded diagram helps.  I could not find a decent picture.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Stewart : You need to look on page 39 of your M35BC parts manual.  Kens' brake down for the M25 engine is only similar.  I'm not too sure, but you might be able to take the female threaded piece off and find a NF threaded bolt to fit. 
If not call Hanson Marine to get that small bolt.  The problem that you'll run into (I'll guess) is they only take orders for a minimum of $25.  So get some filters or an impeller or something else. 

If you have a screen over the forward drain hole in the deck pan under the engine, that small screw slotted bolt should still be there.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ken003

Do these help?  I have a 2005 M35B. 

I tightened that lock nut up right after taking the picture, if anybody is worried.

Ken

Stu Jackson

Is there any particular reason he simply can't just go buy a SS nut locally?  Why have to special order it?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stewart : Sorry that I didn't thouroughly read/understand your question. 
As Stu mentioned get another stainless nut and reuse your washers.  You might think about a new LOCK washer.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stewartn

Thx to all. Special to Ken003 for the pics. They did the trick. Will tighten every thing tonight and be ready for sea by Friday. To those who own 35B's; there is no special adapter, etc. User washers and a lock nut. Thx again.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Ron Hill

Ken 003 : You might think about getting some grease on the threads of your engine mount bolts that are not painted.
I can see rust/corrosion starting and if you ever need to use those threads - it could be some hard turning.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ken003

Thanks Ron.  Those pictures were taken 5 years ago when we took delivery of the new boat.  It had never been in the water at that point.  You can see some of the packing in the back of one of the pictures and the dipstick is still labeled.  I went through the boat and took pictures of everything to keep as a reference for later.  Those motor mounts have all been replaced after we hit a rock in Georgian Bay a couple years ago.  After replacing the mounts I thought the motor sat higher than it had previously on the front mounts, but looking at these pictures I can count the threads and compare to what they are now.  Good to have that reference.  The engine looks a little different now with 2000 hours!

Ken

Joe Kern

That explains it.   I was trying to figure out how you managed to keep the engine so clean and especially how the dipstick label was still on there.  I think that was the first thing to "break" on my boat.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

Not having had the pleasure of owning a new boat I thought the flag was on the dipstick to annotate when the oil was changed.  I keep my notes in the log book, but for those that don't it might be a good way to keep track of when to change your oil.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I just use a magic marker on the oil and fuel filters.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Stewart : Now that I've looked at the pictures - if you have the threads, I'd put a self locking nut on that connector.  Just make sure that you don't "overtighten that nut" as you could make the throttle harder to move.  a thought
Ron, Apache #788