Docking Aid

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Has anyone seen or used one of these "Bow Catchers"? We were looking a new marina in the south bay and a few boats were using this type of arrangement so I pulled out an old furling line from the dock box and converted it to a "bow catcher".

I haven't tested it at full speed yet,  :D but it does hold everything in place if I'm docking short handed and I don't have to scurry quite as fast as before.

Here's some pictures,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

Mike,
I know exactly what you are talking about and have seen the same thing at pier 32 Marina.  The only difference between what I have seen and what you have pictured is that I have seen a fender run with a line through it and placed horizontally.  The fender is placed at the "V" of your line and gives the bow a soft cushion and assertive stop.  I'm seriously thinking of trying this arrangement since I'm a newbie and I need all the help and support I can get. :nail 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Mike, lots of good ideas on this topic, Singlehanding:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html

You'll kinda need to know this stuff 'cuz everywhere else you dock won't have the V.  
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

GUYS : NEAT SYSTEM, I FIND THAT I USUALLY DOCK STERN TO. 
IN YOUR OWN SLIP IT MIGHT BE NICE!!  A THOUGHT
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Mike,  I tried that on a previous boat.  It rubbed the bootstripe and the boat would ride up at the bow.  They work better on boats with plumb bows.  I leave a spring line hanging at the dock, and go over a midship cleat.  Look at 
http://www.seafaring.com/latsTV/how-to.php?id=11 

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Exodus

We used to call these "drunk lines" at my old marina.  I always try to abide by the rule of never traveling faster than I wish to hit the dock.

Ken Juul

Note that the "bow catcher" is used on a floating dock.  Won't work on my fixed dock even with the relatively small tidal change we have.  Some days it would be catching the anchor other days sliding under toward the keel.  

I too rely on the spring line over the midship cleat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I agree entirely that something like this does NOT excuse you from having proper docking skills and so far, I have not had any problems in that area(don't listen to the admiral). She gets concerned at times because we have a down wind slip and the boat tends to drift into the dock, which is solved by the midship cleat, that, of course we don't have, so we just use an extra long bow line that we can bring back to the cockpit and use as the first tie off.
This is sort of a trial process for me to see if it warrants keeping it in place. The only expense was the eye screw on the dock.
I was concerned about the lines rubbing on the hull but as you can see in the pictures, they do not touch.
and Ken is correct, this would definitely not work on unless you have a floating dock..

One ulterior motive was to give an idea to a few power boaters on our dock, who insist on bringing their bows with anchors, so close that they over hang into the dock and becomes a hazard for people walking along the dock.

I'll let you know if I decide to keep it.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

If you have on outside Genoa track it is very easy to add a midships cleat to the forward end of the track.

Garhauer sells them for 1" ($40) and 1 1/4" ($45) track.  I was playing with them at the last Rendezvous.  Very well made.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

paule

Yes I have we called them bridles in NJ somepeople even use a fender where the knot is.
They are a great aid keeps the boat centered after taking dock lines off and aids when returning to the slip.
Used it a lot when I singled handed the boat.
I have also seen it slow a boat coming into the slip to fast if set up right.
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

paule

Ken
we used this on all fixed docks.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

David Arnold

Instead of putting bumpers on the line you might try a couple of pool noodles on each side.  The noodles have a hole in the middle that would easily accept a 1/2" or 5/8" line and you can buy them (seasonally) at the Dollar Store for, you guessed it:  $1.00! 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

horsemel

We started using the "drunk line" last year on the midships cleat.  I don't drink and drive, but it makes for a very nice way to keep the boat gently in place until you get the fore and aft lines on,especially in a cross wind where you get blown away from the dock.  Also, the Admirals tends to want to reach and try to manhandle things on the bow when we dock and this makes me nervous for her safety. We don't have the luxury of this line at most of the docks we travel to, so those who say you need to have the docking skills are right.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815