CD documentation on PocketPC

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

Hello all,

I just wanted to report that I have successfully copied all the documentation that comes on the C34 CD-ROM over to my PocketPC.

The documentation itself takes about 42 MB (Al's family pictures included  :p), so it fits nicely on a Compact Flash card (I have a 128 MB CF).  

You don't need to copy the Acrobat Reader directory, as that will suck up 92 MB for nothing.  Just go to the Acrobat web site, download the PocketPC version of the Reader, and you can even read all the tech notes.

It's pretty cool, now I can read all the articles, FAQs, complete with pictures, without having to dig up the CD and fire up the laptop.

Now it would be cool if the Mainsheet came as a downloadable ebook.

:cool:

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

hdevera

I have a sony clie which uses the Palm OS.  I might try the same thing.  One thing I like to mention for those who use the Palm OS.  There is a great program called Tide Tool.  It has tide charts in graphic and table format for almost all areas in the US and many in the world.  You can delete areas you're not interested in to same memory.  It also provides currents and has moon charts.  I highly recommend this program.  It's worth buying a Palm just for the is program.  And the program is free.

Fulvio

Thanks for the idea, I found the following software that does the same thing on PocketPCs:

http://airtaxi.net/ctide/

It's awesome, and free!

f

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

rdavison

Fulvio, thanks for posting the info about ctide.  It's a great program!  Do you know of any other marine related pocket pc programs?

Randy Davison  k7voe

Stu Jackson

...without Palm PCs, here's a link to a very good tide and current program for PCs and laptops.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sites_uswest.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

The site I referenced just above, seems to be down.

I'll do some cross checking and let you know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Fulvio

Here is the version for PCs of cTide:
http://www.wxtide32.com/

(I should say cTide is the PocketPC version of wxtide32, since it's just a port of the same to Windows CE.)

I don't know of any marine-related programs for PocketPCs yet.  I used to sync some weather and tide related web pages, until I discovered ctide.  Someone recently posted some info about GPS and nav chart software for the PocketPC, I still want to look into that.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Jkar

www.maptech.com it is Pocket Navigator. Two options, software or software and GPS sleeve.  It uses the BSB/Raster charts so if you use Nobeltec or the Cap'n your charts will be able to be imported into PocketPC.  I opted for the GPS sleeve software combo.  The only thing I didn't like is that the sleeve does not leave the option to piggyback other sleeves (memory, wireless...) so you are limited to the memory in your device.  The footprint of the application is small ~4mb, so it leaves plenty of room for charts.  Still, you have to choose the charts you will use, not like my laptop where the entire world is loaded and it chooses for me.  But at the end of 560miles last week, the IPaq and my laptop running Nobeltec were ~500 feet off in there tracks (due probably to changing of batteries in the IPaq)  The only thing I would change is ordering an external powersupply for the IPaq, other than that, you can now chart and track your course as well as read the back issues of Technotes in your hand from anywhere.

Stu Jackson

the link I posted recently is still down, but it was because their "trusty" server died.  They're getting a new one, so it should be up soon.

It's not as nifty as the handhelds you are discussing, but plenty enough, for the right price, for those of you doing anything requiring tides and currents with a wealth of datapoints.

Stu Jackson

tbone's website is revived.

Please give it a try (for you desktop folks).

Please refer to the link noted above.

Happy sine waves to you all...