Bottom Paint Colors

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I know the boats came without any bottom paint. However, I have the dark blue boot stripe with a white hull. What are some of the colors y'all have used or seen? Any favorites?

I'm getting our bottom done in a couple of weeks and I was just curious as I don't really like that blue that's on her now. 
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

There simply aren't that many colors available.  Blue, red and black seems to be the norms.  It's kinda like people who have yellow hulls.  If they don't like the color, they either they repaint them, or say: "Heck, I can't see the hull when I'm sailing, so what!" :D :D :D

We have the same hull you do, we use Trinidad blue.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Allan.SVCarina

Get any color you would like, it's your boat and in the water and won't seen much.  There are some who believe the rudder should be white/light in color.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Lance Jones

Thanks Stu. I agree; but, the admiral is "Color" conscious!  :think
Allan, why the White/Lighter color for the rudder?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I have a red bottom with a lower blue stripe and a narrow red stripe just under the rub rail. 

The boot stripe on the older C34s are part of the gelcoat, not just paint or tape.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pogmusic on August 30, 2010, 02:24:25 PM
Thanks Stu. I agree; but, the admiral is "Color" conscious!  :think

Lance, try this:  http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=93372&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10302&classNum=10303

It's for VIVID bottom paint.  There remain limited colors.  All you have to do is go to the West Marine website and search for bottom paint and look around, or go to any of the manufacturer's websites.

The colors available remain limited.  Perhaps she can get them to make a nice new chartreuse, or perhaps a new giraffe graffiti with tiger stripes.

Let us know... :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

wind dancer

You can also mix colors.  I use West Marine CPP, and mix blue and black.  Every time I paint I increase the portion of black to darken the color and distinguish between coats.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Stu Jackson

Lance, I was telling a nurse, who was removing stitches from my head at the time (another story) about your dilemma.

She suggested that your color conscious mate "wear rose colored glasses!"

Heck, can't hurt to give it a try... :? :D

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu,
Is that what you said to your mate when you got the stitches?         :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, maybe that's why I got 'em! :D

Lance Jones

We settled on Black, you know it's the new Trinidad Blue this season.
Thanks for all your colorful insights!  :rolling
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roger Blake

I prefer the Micron Extra Dark Blue...got lots of positive comments from folks at the yard when I painted it. Micron Extra Blue is nice too...but the dark jumps out. But of course, once you put it in the water, you generally don't see it...when it comes out at the end of the season, it looks a lot like the regular blue.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

pablosgirl

Hi Lance,

If you are doing it yourself and have a week, you can order the paint fro, www.wholesalemarine.com.  The have the Pettit Trinidad SR for $221/gal see http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/PET-1277G/27000806/Pettit+Antifouling+Paint/Trinidad+SR+Dual+Biocide+Antifouling+Paint.html
with free shipping!!  Plus a $20 mail in rebate, that brings the price per gal to 201.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP