Inflatable Transom

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

My inflatable is approaching 10 years old.  The transom is starting to disintegrate/rot.  I was planning on just buying a new one next season, then I started pricing them.  :shock:

I'm thinking now about just replacing the entire transom to get a few more years out of it.  The Hypalon looks to be in good enough shape to last a few more seasons.  Anybody done this?  What kind of solvents do I need to disolve and clean the glue?  What kind of glue is used to reattach?  

Google found an old link that is supposed to descripe the process, but it no longer works.  I've asked for an updated link, will post if it comes through.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

Ken,
For a replacement try www.boatstogo.com  I've been thinking about trading up my WM rollup with the slat floor.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Terry Forshier

3 weeks ago my local West Marine store found several inflatable boats in the back of their store that no one knew were there. (new manager) so they are selling them off at huge discounts. I bought a brand new (but 2004) Avon Rover 310 (made for West Marine) air floor with full warranty for $1000. They have at least 2 other similar inflatables still on the floor discounted in the $700 range.These are brand new. They are, I believe, not hypaln but the Zodiack PVC stuff. Still they are new and about 1/2 or less original price. They would probably ship one to you. The number is 239 793 7722 ..We are in Naples florida. They deal so make an offer. Terry

RV61

Ken,
My 20 year old Achilles needed a transom maker over several years ago. I was lucky the wood that attached to the hypalon was OK. I took the screws out of the Metal Engine support bracket and the other piece of wood popped of with a little prying. A friend cut a new piece for me and I reattached with screws and glue.   Coated with some epoxy first. From what I could tell from your pictures some of the wood that aitches to the hypolon is rotted of gone. If rotting let dry out and I would inject with some penetrating epoxy like Git Rot then fill the voids with some epoxy and paint.  To remove old glue or other adhisives  try Acetone. Would want to check with the Hypalon peaople before using accetone on the Hypalon.
Hope that helps.
Rick   
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Steve Sayian

Ken,

I bought a Coastal 4 years ago.  Got a 9'-6" aluminum deck with air keel.  The also have air and wood decks.  Only weighs about 100# and I have a Tohatsu 8 HP and it flies with only me and can get up on a plane with 3 people.  I like it and havn't any problems with it.  The price was very reasonable

I attached the site. http://www.coastalinflatables.com/

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Ken : I'd recommend that you epoxy/glass w/mat over that transom and leave the glued portion to the tubes alone (if that wood is OK!?).
I believe that MEK is the solvent you need to clean the hypalon before gluing. 
I've never had any luck with glue on PVC or hypalon, even though it was meticulously cleaned!. A thought
Ron, Apache #788

karista

Last year my transom on my Zodiac lost its seal. I took it in to the Zodiac Dealer, they told me they do not replace transoms, too troublesome and unreliable, they gave me some credit towards a new inflatable. So based on their evaluation,  I would think you would be better off looking for a replacement inflatable.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stephen Butler

Just spent the summer trying to do a Avon dingy project. MEK, per Ron's advice, is definitely the solvent/cleaner to use.  Regarding glue, use only 2 part and then, only in a controlled environment with the humidity below 60% and a temperature in the 74 F, on material that is absolutely dry.  Also, you will need to be able to apply pressure to any glued joint for atleast 1 hour.  Have spoken with some boaters that have used 3M 5200 with success for small patchs (looks bad, but worked), and also the flexible West System expoxy, but again, only on small patchs.  Suggest you consider either Ron's advice on glassing or a new dingy.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ken Juul

I hadn't thought of the fiberglass option, that may be the way to go.  It's going to be a winter project.  Once I get the dingy home I'll have to give it a good sanding and evaluate if the wood is worth saving. 

Thanks for the input...I too have heard the glueing is a hit or miss venture....mostly miss.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bob K

Ken,
A few years ago I reattached a wood transom.  Got the glue and, more importantly, good "how to" advice from Inflatable Experts in Eastport.  It held up well, though I did add some fasteners as backup.  Temperature and humidity control are important.  I did mine in my basement with all HVAC vents sealed to prevent the funes from traveling through the house.   
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay