Needed 3 blade prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Rick : A "Sailor style" prop has much narrower blades than the normal "power boat" prop.  The smaller prop cord creates less drag under sail and does not lug down the engine when under power. 
That's the only style prop Catalina sells, where as places like Michigan Wheel usually hava blades of a much longer cord.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Rick : Forgot to mention that the CORD is the measurement from the leading edge of an "air foil" to the trailing edge. 
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

Not sure if anyone is still looking, but I have a 3 blade in reasonably good condition.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ken Juul

I've tried the "Marks alot" didn't seem to make any difference.....but it was a generic brand.  Maybe there is a difference.

If you notice MTuller's prop.  The cause of the broken blade is the leaching of the tin out of the bronze leaving only the soft copper.  Notice how red the prop is, that is the give away.  I had a similiar problem, turned out to be a hot lead on the dock.  MT you may want to ensure your dock is cold before you lose another one. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken has a good point and it could very well be the cause of the blade failure.

I've mentioned it a number of times, but it's worth mentioning again. You can only twist a casting so far so many times, and most prop shops BEAT the blade against a block to reshape the pitch!!  That's why I recommend a shop that uses "Prop Scan" over the wooden block technique.  
A thought.
Ron, Apache #788