Catalina Cushion Fabrics

Previous topic - Next topic

Exodus

Ron,

Yes, did take note that Jim's boat was an 87 MK1 and mine is an 88.  I would assume that the cushions on our boats share the same pattern.  Jim stated that JSI does not have the pattern for our boats.

Can anyone give me the contact information for getting replacement cushions for a 1988 Catalina 34 MKI.

Thanks!

Stu Jackson

Larry Brandt, the C36 Mark II Tech Editor just reported:

Catalina is nearing the end of a process to relocate their parts department from California to Florida. There has been some disarray in this move, I suspect. They have hired a new Parts Dept manager, Ken Roy, who seems to have the right attitude about getting this on track. He told me he welcomes emails. His contact info is:

Ken Roy
7200 Bryan Derry Road
Largo, FL 33777

T 727.544.6681 x266
F 727.546.7303

email ken(at)catalinayachts(dot)com
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

I have worked with Ken Roy when he was my contact (I work at Gill) at JSI. He is an awesome guy to work with and I HIGHLY recommend him for anything!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Clay Greene

FYI, I got a quote to replace the cushions on our 1989 C34 from JSI and it was over $6,000.  That was the end of that discussion. 

Ken Roy was very helpful when we were replacing a window this spring but I got the impression he needs about three more people helping him. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Exodus

Ouch!  So I assume that was all cushions including v-berth, aft cabin and the insert for salon berth.  Any idea on the price for salon cushions only?

Clay Greene

Yes, that was the quote for all the cushions.  No idea on just the salon cushions but my guess would be two-thirds of that.  They are probably half in terms of area but more in number so more work would go into them .
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Cushions are like sails:  buy a national-named brand or buy locally or make your own. :sleepy:

You can buy from Catalina or you can have them done locally.  Most folks I've run across on this subject are very happy to have found local folks.  I posted on the Fleet 1 board about a local foam vendor that got good reviews.

Many folks, like Steve aka waterdog, made their own.

Your boat, your choice.

There are the choices you have.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ken Juul

Tail between my legs...I have no experience with the ultra suede.  My comments above were based on personal perceptions/reference.  At the recent Rendezvous, I heard nothing but praise about the ultra suede.  Live and learn.  It is mostly personal preference, ask questions, then decide what is right for you :)
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I took all my old cushions to a local upholsterer and had the job done for about $3,000. It included all interior cushions plus cockpit cushions.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, did that include new foam?

We have to be careful describing prices to make sure of what is included.

Recovering is one thing, totally brand new is another.

As previously mentioned regarding cushions, the Mark II boats are very different in that they have hard bottoms to the cushions, which replace the old Mark I separate compartment covers with the shiny finish on the bottom and back of each of the cushions.  Totally different design concept for the storage spaces underneath and behind (too, I think, not absolutely sure) between the two boat cushion designs.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu,
Those that were in good condition were reused, and those were the two berths, the rest were new.
You are right, we need to be sure that we are comparing apples to apples.
My main point was that I think you can get a better price from a "non marine" upholsterer. In my case, I hauled all of my cushions from San Diego to Phoenix and back again but it was worth it. I am very happy with the quality of work done.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys & Gals: I believe that the preferred fabric is called "Olefin" (sp?)  Other that you have "Ultra Suede" and others.
Ron, Apache #788