New C34 Owner - #517

Previous topic - Next topic

jedowden

Hi Folks, just wanted to introduce myself as the new owner of a 1988 C34, #517...La Vita Pacifica (formerly Luffing Off). She's off to get bottom paint on Monday, along with a few other minor fixes, and then she'll be heading to her new home...Fiddlers Cove, near Coronado, CA.

I'm a Navy guy, active duty MCPO...and from Poway, CA. I currently have 1 X wife, 4 X sons, and a little dog named "Lani". By day, I am an EOD Technician....the rest of the time, I hope to be sailing!

I will try very hard not to ask stupid questions, or questions that have been asked by every "new guy" to ever post on this forum...but if I do, please accept my apologies up front. :D

I look forward to getting to know the group....

Kind Regards,
Josh & Pam Dowden
Josh & Pam Dowden
La Vita Pacifica, Hull #517

Ken Heyman

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Joe Kern

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Welcome, Josh.  I recommend that you read all of the stickies on the Message Board and join the C34IA if you haven't already.  One of the suggestions in the Critical Upgrades topic is to search on the word weblog - some good reading there.  No one, maybe not even you, knows what the PO(s) might have done to your boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Josh : Welcome aboard.  You might want to join the IC34A by contacting Stu.  You'll get a CD of past owner solutions and the password to the newer Mainsheet tech notes.  Between these two sources (MUCH reading!) will answer most of your questions.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Josh,
I'll speak softly for you EOD types ;) Thank God for guys like you. Welcome to your one-stop clearing house for C-34 info. Don't worry about stupid questions. I ask them all the time AND over time, they've gotten less stupid. Again, welcome aboard from a former Army paratrooper!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

horsemel

Welcome, we have #815 and sail Lake Erie.  You will have a great time.  You EOD types have big ones, so don't drag them in the water behind the boat cause it will slow you down!  I'm a retired Army type so I respect what you do.  Thanks for your service.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

jedowden

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I really appreciate it. Sailing is a relatively new found passion...only been doing it for just over a year now. As you guys have pointed out, my day job can get a bit "hairy"...so I find sailing to be the perfect antidote.

To my Army brothers...thanks for the words. I've done 2 tours to Iraq with the Big Green Machine, and I've made a lot of buddies working in the joint environment. One team, one fight!

I look forward to getting to know you guys in the weeks and months to come...

Sincerely,
Josh

Josh & Pam Dowden

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Welcome Josh,
I'm a Navy Vet from the Viet Nam era and got out in '71 as an AT2.
We are over here in Mission Bay at Marina Village but we do get to the "BIG BAY" sometimes. There's a great free anchorage over here, you'll have to try it out.  I'll keep an eye out for you.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Welcome aboard Josh.
I've been lurking around here for a couple years now in preparation of building up my knowledge of all things C34.  Great resources and great folks.
I too am in San Diego and retired from the Navy in 07.  Though I have been looking for a C34 for a very long time, I think my search is nearly over.  That will make 2 C34 "newbies" (and Sailors to boot) in the San Diego South Bay.  (that should be fair enough warning for anyone attempting to ply these waters :nail)  I'll probably be across the way at Pier 32 until Curt at Fiddlers can open up with another spot for a "priority 2".... You active duty guys get the first shot.... deservedly so. :thumb:
Welcome Aboard 8)
I hope we can meet and sail and exchange ideas/problems/solutions soon!
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

jedowden

That's great news Kevin! Have you found one that you are looking closely at?

Curt is now the interim manager...and they have a new guy named Don as the Dockmaster....both good guys.

I must say, I almost bought a Cat 400, and I'm really glad I decided to go with the C34, and keep the extra $80K in my wallet! I couldn't be happier with the boat, and she's plenty big enough for me and the family.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted on the progress!

Take care,
Josh
Josh & Pam Dowden

Bill Sedgwick

Welcome. I would like to invite you and the other Cat34 owners in the area to visit the San Diego Catalina Asso. We meet the first Wed of each month at 7:30 at Silver Gate Yacht Club. Several members have Cat34s. SDCatA an all Catalina association and we are holding the Cat25/30 Nationals this Sep 23-26. Frank Butler and Sharon Day are scheduled to attend. I'd like to have the 34s Nationals in San Diego if we can build the fleet. I know you will find this group helpful and fun.

Welcome,
Bill Sedgwick
SchatzSea
Cat34 #1031
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031