Interior handle on sliding hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

bclery

So we are going to try our first race, in a very relaxed way, and we are reviewing that US Sail category 4P safety requirements they say we need.  There is a note in there about being able to open the companion way when the boat is upside-down with water pressure on things.

Certainly this is not a situation we expect to be in, but this got us thinking that we need a handle on the sliding companionway cover on the INSIDE of the boat.

I think it is odd there is not one already there.  Do other boats have this?  Mine is 1987 C34.

Is there a standard Catalina part number made to just the right size to fit the existing bolts (wishing) ?

Has anyone added this?  What did you use ?

Thanks,
Bill

Stu Jackson

To open our hatch from the inside, we simply lift it up a bit and slide it forward.  I'd thought about adding something, but less holes in the boat makes me happier.  Unless those rules also say you need to keep your hatchboards in when upside down, the hatch won't be an issue.  There may have been one post a while ago about keeping the hatchboards in, perhaps with barrel bolts on the inside.  Nothing made by Catalina for either Mark I or II boats that I'm aware of.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

I know of no handle on the inside of the overhead hatch on any C34.

The barrel lock mentioned by Stu was posted for "security" to stop an intruder??  I considered it a safety impairment if you needed to get out FAST !    A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

The rules do say you need the hatch boards in and a way to keep them there.  I added a brass handle to the inside of my hatch to comply.  Easy to do.  Also added a couple of straps with snaps to hold hatch boards in place if the hatch was not fully closed.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

pablosgirl

Hi Bill,

The PO of our boat installed an interior handle on the sliding hatch using two eye straps and a piece of 3/4" rope.  We find that it makes it easier to slide the hatch closed from the inside of the boat.  I have attached a picture of the installation.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

bclery

Thanks for all the advice and the photo.
I like the idea of also holding in the boards separately.
Bill