Planning to raise my dodger

Previous topic - Next topic

Clenhart

I have this different dodger/shade set-up on my boat from the previous owner 4+ years ago.  I have never used it because of the low headroom, using a boom tent instead but decided to put it on this year and see if I could make it work.  I sail on an inland lake so the function of the dodger is for overhead shade, and rain protection mostly, no rough seas to deal with. It is in really nice shape but only provides 5' head clearance and I am 6' 4". My 10 year old son even hit his head last night. I have the main sail on and believe I have room for at least 6' clearance under the boom which would be a huge difference.  While there are a lot of posts about dodgers I didn't see many actual measurements.  Does anyone know the standing height under theirs who has a similar year tall rig?

I plan to add extensions to the 4 base points raising it 10 - 12'.  They move aft on an angle so I should maintain clearance from the main sheet.  I know he panels will not reach anymore but first things first, if I can raise it, I will adjust the connector to the back stay first, then think about extending the panels.  Shade will still be the main intention of the set-up.
1991 Mk 1.5 Tall Rig Hull #1168

scgunner

Clenhart,

My setup is similar to your current cover which works fine for me since we spend most of the time sitting in the cockpit not standing, also when moving or maneuvering the boat I just roll it up and stow it on the dodger. However if you're looking for more headroom you might think about a Bimini top which a lot of boaters do, also you can get a connecting piece between Bimini and dodger to provide more cover.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Clenhart

I really don't mind not having a Bimini at this time, there is a piece of canvas that connects aft of the Backstay for additional protection when needed but we like to sit in the sun on the Perch seats and I can see the mast head when sailing from behind the wheel, the problem is we all hit our heads on the dodger constantly.  We have an active family of 5 moving around the boat at all times it seems.  I even put a noodle on the bar to help but when you are looking down you don't see it.  Do you know how much clearance you have under your dodger? 

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Clenhart on May 21, 2020, 08:01:23 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Do you know how much clearance you have under your dodger?

The 101 Topics has this Dodger Height thread.  Mine's a low one, I'm 5-9, and it's around my armpit level, see the pictures.

Dodger Height 101 with Pictures and Links

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.0.html

You can use page 4 of the brochure of your boat to see how high (or low) the boom is.

Do realize that when you raise it you'll be looking through plastic all day long; I just like looking over my dodger.  Mine is rare, though.

Good luck.

PS -  There's another 101 topic, Dodger Canvas you might look at, don't know if it's applicable.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

I'm 5'11" and my dodger comes up to maybe my nose.  If I'm standing at the wheel, I can see over it.  So maybe it's 5'5".   When I had it made the canvasmaker said that was the height I wanted so I listened to him. I think typically they are made so you can see over it when standing and sailing.  6' high might work but it might look really awkward on the boat.

Ron Hill

Clen : The most important height factor of a dodger to me, is to be able to see either over it or under it.  I had a new frame build so I could see over it and my 1st Mate could see under it.  We both had a clear view as I could zip out the windshield or pull it underneath.   :clap

I also a "helmsman's awning" like you have and changed it to a Bimini with an insert in-between.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Clenhart

Thank you for the input, with the awning on now I can't see at all unless I am sitting because of the angle, I was hoping that by raising the dodger I would be able to see under it even while standing behind the helm.  My windshield does have zippers and can be snapped up out of the way.  A Bimini might be in the future but I didn't want to spend the money right now local shop quoted $2500.  If I don't stop hitting my head the dodger will be back to my basement  :D  Based on some of your input and agreeing that if I go up to 6' it might look funny, I found I can get 1' x 12" stainless steel tube sections at Sailrite already cut, as well as, 12" x 7/8 as a spline.  If I add 12" to each base point it will only raise it up 9 - 10 inches making it about 5' 9"ish.  Everyone in my family will be able to stand under the awning/dodger except me and I will be better off.  This will be about a $100 risk if I don't like it and I should be able to cut it down a few inches.  I will post some pictures after I make the adjustments.  I haven't ordered the parts yet and will spend the weekend on the boat contemplating it some more.  My wife loves me constantly talking about it as you can imagine, you all are my outlet :-)

scgunner

Clenhart,

Whatever you decide it's going to be a compromise, sailing vs sitting. Like the rest of us you'll just have to figure out what works best for you.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Roc

Clenhart
You can raise the back end of the dodger by adding an adjustable eye end.  I did that to my dodger, not so much to raise because of clearance (however it was one benefit), but to tighten up the front end of the windows because they were sagging.  By adding this and shifting some of the other poles, my dodger windows are much more taught.  I suppose whoever put my frame together made things a little too loose.  Sailrite sells these, but you can find them other places.

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

I have the Catalina OEM dodger.  I'm 5'6" and do have to duck under the dodger, the first thing that wears on my baseball cap is the top button from not ducking enough.  To see over the dodger I simply stand on the seats behind the wheel.  I get a good view right to the bow.
Works for me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Clenhart

I never posted the final product so here it is, the extensions raised the dodger height to about 5' 10", I am 6' 4" and it has been enough that I haven't hit my head all summer.  The attachment that zips to the backstay had to be hemmed to shorten it as the dodger moved backwards as it went up.  In addition as the aft bow got longer it also got wider so it had to be curved in with a pipe bender.  This overall process was harder that I thought it would be but well worth it. 

Piece of advice, if you decide to try this, make sure that you know the inner pipe diameter on the existing dodger, the 7/8" Spline from Sailrite didn't fit inside the existing frame and had to be turned down to fit. 

Clenhart

More pictures