Next in the Catalina Stable C355

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

Susan, I think that you have put your finger on why they went to a fractional rig. The mast has been moved forward so that the compression post is against the forward bulkhead, moving it away from the table area.

The bow thruster is optional, but I would certainly like to have one!  That would really help my docking. I think that those with a wing keel docking in a strong cross wind or cross current would appreciate it the most.  I suspect that a full keel is less affected by a cross wind at low speed.  Tradeoff as always is some extra drag, dpending on how well it is designed into the bow.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D. Gill : I just saw a review in the new Chesapeke Bay Magazine on the C35 MKII ?? (didn't know there was one!!) It has incoperated the "suggestions of over 400 C35 owners" !

So I'm not too sure exactly what the new C355 is replacing beside the C34/C36 ??   :think
Ron, Apache #788

wind dancer

Ron,

The 350 MkII came out 5 years ago if memory serves.  In my opinion, the 375 was the replacement for the 350 (13ft beam and forward head) while the 355 is more of a replacement for the 34 (12ft beam and aft head).
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Wayne

The 375 was a replacement for the 36.  As many have mentioned, it has some flaws.  The 355 'floor plan' is pretty much just like our boats.  I'm really happy that Catalina kept the beam down, and I'm hoping that hints that the new model holds to some performance standards.  As someone mentioned, the forward berth looks pretty small.  Like on the 375.  What they did on the 375 was to offer 'inserts' that fit into the space on either side that made the new style bed into a 'v' berth.  Going backwards from our long beds is pretty much a mistake, in my opinion.  Can't wait to see one and get some answers to the questions!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : I have just returned for the East Coast Rendezvous.  Gerry Douglas gave a pitch on the C355.  He kept mentioning "Off Shore" in the structure, construction, fwd water tight bulkhead  etc.

So I asked the question " You have mentioned Off Shore a number of times.  Does this mean the C355 is an off shore boat rather than coastal cruiser?"  Gerry neatly side stepped a direct answer of yes or no.  So I'll let it to your imagination.   

He was also asked if the C355 meant that the C350 would be going out of production?  His answer was that the C350 would still be built as long as there's a demand!    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

One of the nice things about Catalina is the company listens to the owners.  When Gerry asked me how I like the 445 at the Annapolis boat show my reply was beautiful boat, great interior and cockpit, but too much boat for me. I personally don't like dual helms, but they seem to work on this boat.  The one thing that needs to be changed is the throttle needs to be moved.  It had to be operated with the left hand reaching through the wheel.  On the display 445 this weekend, the throttle had been moved to the side, easy to use for a right hander and away from the wheel.  Not sure if it was my input, or input from many, but the boat is improved/modified in less than a year.

To keep this on topic.  Gerry does not consider the 355 a fractional rig.  He calls it a 17/18 rig.  The sole reason was to simplify the mast head, reducing weight aloft.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

Don't know if any of you read the recent review of the C375 in Practical Sailor.  The very last paragraph didn't seem they were fond of the sailing performance in wind higher than 10 kts.  Also, in comparing the specs of the C375/H38/B37, I kind of liked the way the C36 looked on the numbers chart.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Joe Kern

Just found out I will be in Annapolis next Monday and will be able to attend the last day of the boat show.   Looking forward to seeing whatever Catalina models that will be there. 

Any suggestions from prior Annapolis Boat Show attendees will be appreciated.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Lance Jones

Don't know if you have to be a friend of Ron's to see. However, here is the sea trial. http://www.facebook.com/gillgear?ref=ts#!/video/video.php?v=1451507888568
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe Kern

Does anyone know what the round winch like device on the mast (facing aft) is?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

I think it is part of the in mast furling system, but looking at the manual from Charleston Spars on the wiki it makes no mention of it.  SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) is that is used if the furling line breaks or needs to be replaced.

Hopefully one of the MKII owners can provide the correct answer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

I have a 2005 with Charleston Spar and it is not part of it.  Saw it on a few differnt brand boats and assumed the same thing.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Wayne

I've had that thing from time to time on a charter.  I think it is a Selden mast, and that is a clutch device that locks the furling line in place.  I really don't understand its use, but I think it is pretty silly.  If one is going to have in-mast furling with lines led to the cockpit, why on earth would it make sense to go forward to the mast to operate a clutch?  I know on some of them I had to 'shift gears' on that thing to engage it to furl or to unfurl.  Its been a few years, I really didn't understand the subtleties of its operation then, but I sure hope it has been simplified now . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Tom Clay

Joe,

The winch on the front of the Seldon mast is part of the furling system. I have used both the Seldon and Charleston furling systems. I prefer the Charleston that we currently have on our MK 11. I have friends that have had trouble getting their Seldon's to furl. That is the reason you have a place on the winch to insert a winch handle.

On the Seldon mast the furling line feeds through the winch/drum. You pull on the furling line the winch turns and through some gears rotates the sail into the mast, until it binds up. Then you go up front to the mast and turn the winch with a winch handle.

Our Charleston has worked flawlessly for the the last 4 years. To reduce sail the wife slowly brings the boat into the wind, as the sail just starts to luff I pull in some sail, this takes us less than 5 seconds. It's now a competition to see how fast we can adjust our main sail.   
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Joe Kern

Thanks Tom.   I have the Charleston too and I have never had any problems with it and certainly have never had to go forward to the mast to do anything.  It seems like a good system and I was wondering if what I saw at the show was an improvement.  Apparently it is not.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl