Next in the Catalina Stable C355

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

I'm liking the taller lifelines and the water-tight bulkhead too.  I'm going to have to find a way to pay off my C34 faster than 2021.   I don't know if I can wait that long!  I really like what I see of this new boat.  
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Roc

I would opt for the 35 hp Universal.  The Yanmar would be anemic for this boat.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

wind dancer

I agree it's not a lot, but C34s never came with more than 30hp.   Mine has 23hp and is adequate.  29hp should push the 355 to hull speed if needed and cruise at 6.5kts while sipping fuel.  I like the choice.

Ken Heyman

Guys,

It's always heartening to see the design that we love validated in a newer boat. But the difference in price between this boat and a used Mark I or II. Gulp! 200k plus for this boat fully equipped vs. 45-75K for 80s or 90s vintage C34s. After the 'new toy" elation wears off, I would be saying "I just spent what for this boat?!".  Then again I have never bought a boat out of the box and I guess there may be some advantage--warranties etc. Still the difference in price provides an awfully big war chest for repairs and maintenace on our older boats. There are even funds left over after we install that electric toilet.

Ken

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Roger Blake

From sailplace.com: The Catalina 355 conforms to the recommendations and standards of the ABYC and IMCI Category A requirements. The base price of a Catalina 355 is $165,450 FOB, Largo, Florida. The boat will debut at the United States Sailboat Show in Annapolis, MD on October 7-11, 2010.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Interesting to note that it's only a 29hp engine.  
Hope Gerry Douglas read my Mainsheet article (smile :D) and doesn't stick with the same prop pitch of a 1986 C34 (with a 21hp engine) !!

I also note that the anchor package includes a SMALL 22lb Delta!!  

Two steps fwd and one step back!!  A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I don't get the naming sequence.  A C355 would make you think it would be a small step above the already existing C350, or a replacement for the C350.  In my mind, C340 would have made sense.  Whatever happened to the days when boat names were based on their length?   :donno:

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Roc on August 10, 2010, 05:50:10 PMIn my mind, C340 would have made sense.

Never!  Any Catalina ending in a 0 is a Winnebago.  Except for the 470.  And the C310.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Clay

Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Roc

What's the significance of ending in a '0'?  C320 and C350 have been popular boats.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Roc on August 11, 2010, 04:16:57 AM
What's the significance of ending in a '0'?  C320 and C350 have been popular boats.

See http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4232.msg24284.html#msg24284

Popular or not, the high freeboard distinguishes some of the designs quite clearly from others.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Catalinas have always swayed more towards being a 'sailing boat' than an 'entertaining boat', unlike other production brands.  However, maybe the pendulum is swinging more toward boat designs that appeal to dockside entertainment and less to sailing performance.   If that's the case, I think it's too bad.

wind dancer

Roc, I think the 355 design shows the exact opposite.  Catalina looks to be targeting the serious (family) sailor who wants a good value.  By dropping the 350 they are moving away from the condo concept.

Roc

I guess I need to study the 355 more closely.  I thought it was a hull design more like the 320 and 350, high freeboard, bulky transom, etc.  I look forward to seeing at the boat show in Annapolis.

tonywright

The Yanmar could be good if it has a lower idle speed. This could make for easier low speed (1 knot or less) approach under power for docking. The one flaw I find with the Universal 35hp is that it has so much power and shaft rotation at idle that I need to shift in and out of gear to approach at low speed.  Net result is a loss of precision in steering (loss of flow over the rudder) . If I leave it in gear, minimum speed is at least 2 - 2.5 knots.

I once chartered a Jeanneau with Yanmar and saildrive: much better low speed control, and quiet power at cruising speed. Maybe saildrive should be on the wish list?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada