Next in the Catalina Stable C355

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

The word is out -- C-355. A smaller version of the 455!!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

wind dancer

You mean 445, right? ;-)

Any details?
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Lance Jones

Yes, 445. Sorry. No details yet. However, many of the same features on the 445 will be on the 355. However, single wheel and a wee bit less roomy.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

wind dancer

If it's got the interior layout of a 34 and the lines of the 445, I'll start saving!  I should be able to afford it in 2021...

paule

You Will all be surprise I know !!!!!!!
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

wind dancer

Info on the new 355 is starting to pop up on the web.  Here's a listing from a dealer that just couldn't wait until the details were finalized:

http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2001277&ybw=&units=Meters&currency=GBP&access=Public&listing_id=12184&url=

If the information in the listing is at all accurate, and if it has 2 meters of headroom, I am very interested.  I just hope the inflated "sailaway" price is due to the UK listing (or to the cost of being first in line).

Wayne

The AC must be driving up the price . . .
Well, guess the layout picture answers the question of which end of the boat will get the head . . . All in all, looks pretty much like the layout on our boats, after a light shot of steroids.  I'm happy to see that one of the biggest changes was enlarging and (hopefully) improving the head . . . and of course head room throughout for us tall guys . . .
Can't wait to get on board one, and might I hope for a test sail?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Joe Kern

Is the move to Yanmar engines (and a 29hp at that) something new for Catalina in these newer boats?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Actually, it's a larger version of the C34.  Good on Gerry!  12 foot beam vs 11-9.  Foot longer.

Electric head - depends on which on it is.  Peggie has some definitive recommendations on those.  If the holding tank is above the head, like it is on the C350, it becomes a "problem" with head discharge and joker valves.  Doesn't look like there's room for it though anywhere on the plan, so it may well be in the same place as ours.  Water consumption???

V berth:  hmm, making the world's largest V berth into a newer style V berth doesn't mean it's any bigger.  Access, however seems pretty good.  I do, however, like our ability to lean against the lockers and drawers with our feet forward to read.  Not sure whether you're supposed to sleep head or feet forward there.

Split portside saloon seat:  where'dya put the cushion if you want it down?  Some C36 guys feel it's a waste.  I can always put my drink down on the main table, it isn't that far away.  I'd go for the continuous seat.

Saloon table:  rates a 110% in my book.  In fact, I'd go buy one tomorrow if they were available. But the quad leaf shows as closed in the plan, so where do you get the extra space?  Would be a bear with our keel stepped mast, though.

Seems less storage space in the saloon cabinets, but the Mark IIs always had less space than our Mark I black sliding doors.

Access to the stuffing box will be a big deal with a full mattress.  We've had discussions about this before.  See C375 reviews we did, search C375.  Pictures were included.

So far, pretty nice.  My due date is 2016!!!  Aquavite will be a mere 30 years old.  Enough to get into the Classic Plastic Regatta.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: gtrbone on August 09, 2010, 06:44:53 PM
Is the move to Yanmar engines (and a 29hp at that) something new for Catalina in these newer boats?

You gotta be listening - all the boats for the past at least five years have been Yanmar.  Advertisements for Yanmar with Gerry Douglas pictured and quoted in Mainsheet magazine weren't enough?   :D Evidently people didn't understand glow plugs...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Tom Clay

Stu....I don't believe it is any longer than a 34 MK11. Catalina has gone to measuring tip to tip, over all length and using that for the model number, similar to other boat manufacturers. My 34 MK11 is 35' 8" overall length with includes pulpit/anchor roller. Also water line length is only a few inches longer.

It does look like a direct replacement for our 34's.

Look forward to getting all the actual specifications and seeing one at a boat show.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Steve Sayian

I like the optional hard dodger.  We've been talking about one this year.
Going to contact Massey for a price on the MK II.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Tom Clay on August 09, 2010, 10:30:09 PM
Stu....I don't believe it is any longer than a 34 MK11. Catalina has gone to measuring tip to tip, over all length and using that for the model number, similar to other boat manufacturers. My 34 MK11 is 35' 8" overall length with includes pulpit/anchor roller. Also water line length is only a few inches longer.

It does look like a direct replacement for our 34's.

Look forward to getting all the actual specifications and seeing one at a boat show.

Tom, LWL 29-10 ours, 30-2 new, LOA 34-6 vs. 35-5.  Negligible differences.  Whatever numbers they use to designate the new boats is relatively meaningless, only for differentiation.  At least it's not a CXX-zero Winnebago-class.  One doesn't count pulpits and pushpits in measuring except for marinas to charge us more. :D  I doubt the new ones measure that way either, LOA is LOA for spec purposes.

I agree it's a newer deeper C34 for tall guys! :D  This is far from the thoughts of the C36 guys when they claimed the C375 was a C36 replacement.  At least this one's got the aft head.

The actual specs are right on the link provided.  I agree, looking forward to seeing one, but I'm pretty sure we already know what the interior trim will be.

And they'll probably have that darned clam cleat, too, unless they do full double end mainsheets, but even then...

Wayne

I sooooo hope they keep the great things that work on the 34 going on the 355.  Like the traveler.  The traveler control they put on the 375 is a little funky in my opinion.  Does the smaller Yanmar put out as much power as our Universals?  And I noticed that the specs call for two cleats on each side--no midship cleats.
Stu, after awhile I've gotten used to the jam cleat they use for the mainsheet.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Wayne

I just found a deck plan.  To see, go to the Massey web page, Catalina specials, then the 355.  There are midship cleats, and a toerail.  Hatches look about the same as ours.  Other than being a tad longer it looks like this boat could be called a 34 MkIII.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca