globe impeller for oberdorfer

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Congratulations David. The slightest loss of vacuum on the intake side can cause intermittent and unreliable raw water flow. I think the stripped hose clamp a good catch! You may want to renew the teflon tape each year and check for tightness at all fittings.

And thanks for letting us know the results of your efforts. It is always terrific to know when the problem is resolved. Have a great sailing weekend....it is the Summer Solstice weekend, and Fathers Day too. Perfect time to be on the water sailing.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

If that was the only hose clamp with a "loose screw" I'd be very surprised.  I suggest that you and other skippers regularly check all the hose clamps.  A few of the ones on our exhaust riser were only a few years old and starting to go when I "discovered" them.  There are lots of hose clamps on our boats and they don't last forever.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D.Gill : As I previously mentioned, it's more than just a good idea to double clamp all thru hull connections - it's also a safety issue. 
The other hose connections that are doubled clamped on my boat are for the @$#%$^* head!!  Sure don't want any leakage there!!    A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

gmcop1

I used a Globe in my C30 with the XP25. It made the engine overheat. I will never use one again.
Gary Coppola
'92 C34

Ron Hill

Guys : I've mentioned it before, but worth mentioning it again:

Catalina uses a 1/2" thru hull for the raw water, but the hose to the raw water pump (Oberdoffer or Sherwood) uses a 5/8" hose!!  So - You'd better have a good tight hose clamp or double clamp all hoses to any thru hul!!!
A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

karista

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 01, 2010, 02:04:09 PM
Guys : I've mentioned it before, but worth mentioning it again:

Catalina uses a 1/2" thru hull for the raw water, but the hose to the raw water pump (Oberdoffer or Sherwood) uses a 5/8" hose!!  So - You'd better have a good tight hose clamp or double clamp all hoses to any thru hul!!!
A thought   :thumb:

Ron
I would assume that Cataline installed a 5/8" Dia Barb fitting to accomodate the 5/8" DIA Hose! I am now concerned based on your email that this may not be the case. I will now the check the fitting DIA. I would not think that Catalina would install 1/2" DIA Fitting for a 5/8" Dia Hose.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stu Jackson

Bernd, the picture in reply #3 here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4114.0.html shows what the factory did with the check valve for the shower sump:  to make a 3/4" line fit on a 1/2" barb, they put a short length of 1/2" hose on the barb and slopped the 3/4" hose right over it!  A lovely detail.

As far as the raw water inlet, our Sherwood plastic strainer is directly over the thru hull, so I couldn't say.  I'll have to take a look and see if they did the same "detailing" to connect the 5/8" hose on the top of the strainer to the pump on the engine as they did with the check valve.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys:  My boat has a 1/2" thru hull with a 1/2" barbed plastic nipple for the raw water hose. 
There is a very simple test - if you can loosen the hose clamp, with minimal force and with some twist can pull off the hose from that thru hull nipple - you have a 5/8" hose on a 1/2" nipple!!

I've known this for many years and reaffirmed it when I installed a new engine.  There's no big deal, you just have to make sure that you have that hose clamped/double clamped. 
I'd rather have that extra 1/8" than have a 1/2" wire reinforced hose(suction side) on a 1/2" nipple - because if you ever want to get that hose off (for what ever the reason) you are going to have a BEAR of a time getting that hose (cutting the hose&clipping the wire) off of a barbed plastic nipple!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788