Aft Water Tank Removal on Mk I with Walk-Thru Transom

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

I may have to remove the Aft Water Tank on my 1994 MK-I with a walk-through transom.  The rudder post is immediately forward of the tank behind the bulkhead in the aft cabin.  Question: Do you have to "drop the rudder" to remove the tank or can you slide it around the port side of the post?
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Bob Kuba

Hi Dan,

You shouldn't have to drop the rudder, the post is behind the tank.
Throttle, transmission cables and pedestal wiring forward of the tank.
I'll send additional pictures.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Bob Kuba

Fill hose, vent line, and an inspection/cleaning port on the aft water tank.

Bob Kuba

Rudder post is behind the aft water tank.

SailDan

Bob -
Fantastic photos.  I guess I recalled seeing the throttle cables, etc. in front of the tank when I removed the bulkhead in the Bahamas and got confused about the location of the rudder post. :?

I really appreciate your 3 photos and information.  I need to clean the tank (of some nasty stuff) and, from your photos, it appears I my not have to remove the tank afterall... whew ; it looks like I can access the tank via the "filling hose" on the starboard side to pump out the tank.  I note also that you installed clean-out "access ports" on the top of the tank.  Great idea... I may do this as well.
Dan Harrington...  :D
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Ron Hill

Dan : Bob's photos are really great. 
One other note is that you can disconnect the fill, bottom supply hose and vent line, but you MAY need to cut a small notch in the aft cabin lower wall to get the 90 degree supply elbow out thu the aft cabin.  Good luck
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Dan, you didn't mention what your "nasties" are.  Peggie Hall has developed a very good regular water system "recommissioning" procedure, and that could help, depending on what you think you have inside.  Let us know and I'm sure Peggie can help.  I'm also sure it's in her book, as well as being posted many times on the www.catalinaowners.com website.  You can go there and do a search on "recommissioning" and find those posts and that procedure.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailDan

Ron -
Thanks for suggestion.  You may be correct. I am not sure, but from Bob's photos it looks like the "90 degree elbow" (fill hose) attachment is threaded into the top tank.  I can't tell from the photos if they sealed the joint with Teflon tape, maybe 3M 4200 or something else?  If it's the tape I might be able to unscrew it.  Otherwise I'll need to use your suggestion.
Thanks,
Dan
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

SailDan

Stu -
OK, you are forcing me to "confess" ... I am really embarrassed but here is what happened:  It was late at night, had guests on board, I was tired, and I was trying to save a bit of diesel in a carry-on fuel tank.  Yep... you guessed it... put about a pint of diesel into the aft water tank before I realized what I had done. Stopped immediately and added liquid soap then pumped out what I could. I believe I got out most of it out.  However, I need to make sure since we use the tanks for drinking water.

I have been in contact with John Langford (Member of this assoc., C-34 Mk II, s/v Calypso) who had same problem a couple of years ago (Check his August 5, 2008 thread on this site about "diesel in water tank" - http: //c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4476.html#msg26343 ).  He also refers to Peggie Hall's article in this thread.  John gave me his cleaning procedure which seemed to work.  He did not have to remove his tank.  I am going try his "washing procedure" first.  If it does not work, I'll remove the tank and have it steam cleaned.
Dan  :oops:
(PS - I've also been in contact with Bob Kuba; We both belong to the Chicago Catalina Fleet 21)
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Stu Jackson

Dan,

Here's the direct link to John's post:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4476.0.html  For some reason the hyperlink didn't get into your post.  Sometimes you have to highlight it and click on the hyperlink button above.

I had the pleasure of meeting John in Oak Bay a number of years ago, great fellow.

Here's a link to Peggie's recommissioning posts on co.com:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=658043&highlight=recommissioning

Good luck, looks like it beats removing the tank.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Dan : The reason I mentioned "cutting a notch" is that on my 1988 (standard transom) there isn't enough room to get under that supply drain on the fwd bottom of the tank and unscrew that elbow!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Peter Lewis

I removed my water tank two years ago, when I was moving the fridge compressor to the port side to give me more storage space and protect it from wet lines, fenders etc.  No problem on my 1993 model- just takes a little jiggling to get it past the control lines, and yes, remove the 90 degree elbow on the filling line first.

I also added a hold-down strap-  didn't like the idea of a part-full water tank jumping around amongst the steering and control cables, in the event of a knockdown.  I was a bit surprised it didn't already have one.

SailDan

Ron & Peter
I understand and can see where that elbow sticking up could create a problem.  Good to hear that you were able to pull the aft tank Peter.  I am going to try and flush the tank first without removing it.... in fact,  I am at the boat now and flushing and draining into the bilge   Seems to be working fine.

Also discovered that the water manifold valve to the starboard tank in the cabin was open... UGH.  You can guess what happened....got some diesel into that tank was well via gravity feed from the aft tank.  I was able to pull that tank last night and am in the process of washing it out.
Dan
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Stu Jackson

Dan, just to make you feel better:  you'd probably have to do that anyway, even with closed valves, I'd suggest doing the whole system with Peggie's advice, 'cuz the diesel's in the system and all the pipes.

You'll have one FINE water system by the time you're through.

Ron Volk

Peter,

I am interested in your relocation of the compressor to the port side.  How hard of a project was that, how did you route the lines to the fridge, and how easy is it to get access to it now.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA