Mk I Companion way hatch squeak !

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

I was asked by one of the Message Board readers about the aluminum strips that I put under that hatch to stop the squeak/squeal when you open or close that hatch.

I decided to answer his question with a new topic, because that was my 1st attempt(aluminum strips) -that only worked for a short time before the noise started up again.

The real fix that now has lasted 10/15? years is the lexan strips that replaced the aluminum strips - they "silenced the beast" and do last.  My original lexan strips are still in place.
I took some 1/8" - 3/16" lexan (NOT acrylic as it can crack) and cut two 1 inch wide and 5 foot long strips.  I placed them under the companion way hatch inside the track the hatch rides in.  I drilled a small countersunk hole in each of the cockpit ends of the strips and screwed them (dab of caulk) to the inside of that track.  The lexan(polycarbonate) is "slippery" enough that the hatch glides over the strips with out the shriek that can "wake the dead".  
Problem solved
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron!!!!
Did you get the Lexan from your local glass shop?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I got the lexan for a shop at specialized in selling scrap pieces of of "plastic" by the pound !!  I'm sure that you can also get it form a glass shop. 
Also remember that I did this a few years back and there may be better "plastics" out there now (about 15yrs ago)!!  Just make sure it's NOT acrylic !!  
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks, as always, for your insight Ron.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

horsemel

Lance, UHMW {Ultra High Molecular Weight} plastic works too.  It is more slippery.  It works well on mine.  I have had it for three years.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Guys : Mark has a good point.  I wanted something more "slippery", but $$$ lead me to Lexan.  
Just wanted you all to know that lexan works and stays working for years.  A thought  :D
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Brener

If you are in or near the Washington-Baltimore Metro area, Precision Plastics, 6405-A Ammendale Road, Beltsville, MD 20705  301-937-1317 can cut these strips.  They are cutting a fixed port for me, beveled edge and all.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  They found a piece to use that avoided my purchasing a full size sheet. Cost $120.00.  The cost of 2- 1" x 60" white Lexan is $25.00.  An email contact is  greg@precisionplastics.com.  I found other sources in the Norfolk, VA area.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

horsemel

My UHMW cost $2.00.  There is a platics fabrication shop here in town that sells their stuff that is in their scrap bin.  You should look for someplace like that.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815