Tacktick

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I have the wireless tacktick wind speed direction... has been working fine and i get to the boat today and not speed or direction... NOW there was a bad storm here in Eastern NC ... could lighting have affected it??   I sure hope i dont have to go up the darn mast again !!! hopefully someone else out there has had this problem and can tell me waht they did to solve it...  thanks for any info

learjetzz

Don't forget it's solar powered . It should have a constant source of sunlight , when the battery life goes to half it won't power up. Mine had the same problem , just a thought . Does any of your Nav or other electronics  fail to work , then it may be a lighting strike.

kevMar

It is mounted ontop of the mast.. i think it would get enough light to rechage it , but it is a thought who knows with murphys law maybe a bird  poop a big glob on solar panel....  i am calling Tacktick and get their thoughts will let all know how i make out....thanks

mainesail

Quote from: kevMar on July 11, 2010, 05:50:13 PM
I have the wireless tacktick wind speed direction... has been working fine and i get to the boat today and not speed or direction... NOW there was a bad storm here in Eastern NC ... could lighting have affected it??   I sure hope i dont have to go up the darn mast again !!! hopefully someone else out there has had this problem and can tell me waht they did to solve it...  thanks for any info

Yes, an electrical storm can fry Tack Tick instruments. This happened to the boat right next to me in the mooring field three summers ago. He did not take a direct hit, nor did I, but a boat nearly 200 yards away did. I had nothing fried and he had nothing fried except the Tack Tick stuff. Tack Ticks response was less than stellar and he was basically SOL on a very $$$$$$ group of instruments.

A week later the yard was replacing all of it with wired instruments as the insurance picked up the tab. So, it can happen, but check the other things first and cross your fingers this did not happen. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

kevMar

i bet that is what has happened... I am in touch with Tacktic so we will see what happens i will let all know what kind of help they are going to offer...

kevMar

Tacktic has sent me a replacement wind transmitter and will get someone to climb the mast and change it out. The reprogram went very well and was very easy UNLIKE my raymarine smrt pilot X-5 which is now sitting on a bench at rayamrine. used it for about 4 hours and then could not use it since. Computer is being check by the techs at raymarine.. will give updates on this also..

kevMar

The wind trasmitter is now working ..  Thanks to Steve Moore at Tacktick for being so very helpful in getting the unit working again... 5 stars for Tacktick !!!!!!!!!!!!!