GPS and Navigation Software Options

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Stu:

Just wedge the screwdriver behind it and it will come out.

I used a small screwdriver that I use for removing screws from small electronic devices and laptops.
A screwdriver for your glasses is most likely the right size to get in the gap.

Mark Tamblyn

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Mark,  got it out, but had to drill a tiny hole in the plastic next to it to get the smallest screwdriver under enough to get leverage.  That's one mighty magnet for such a slim wafer size.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SeaFever

Question to hose people who have experience with SeaClear II running on Windows and using a GPS receiver...

I am running SeaClear II on Windows 7 laptop with a bluetooth enables GPS receiver. Many times when I start up the Receiver ad SeaClear s/w I get the dialog box appear on SeaClear - "Cannot open Communication port 3". And even though the GPS is On and communicating, nothing comes up on SeaClear. I have found that just opening up the TX/Rx section on the SeaClear Properties and closing it kicks the communications and the GPS data then starts coming up on SeaClear.

Anyone experience this and can suggest a proper solution?

Thanks!
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

rirvine

Maybe the best solution for the cockpit is an iPad (or even an iPhone) in one of the many water proof bags that are on the market using the internal GPS and one of the many Navigation product (iNavx, Motion X to name just two) that are available for the iPAD/iPhone.   Ray

Stu Jackson

I just stumbled on this, via Latitude 38's website: 

http://www.cruisingservices.net/

Looks interesting for those who haven't gone through all the stuff discussed in this topic. The GPS puck looks to be the very same BU-353 unit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stephen Butler

Sharing our experience:

1) after trying many types of expensive "waterproof" bags, boxes, and pods, we now accept that if electronics are on a boat, they will eventually get wet.  This is particularly true for anything in the cockpit.  With this in mind, we have opted for marinized equipment, or "throwaways" (cell phone, mp3 player, etc.) and the liberal use of various protective sprays.

2) we do have a laptop aboard, with a full complement of charts, and we have taken the usual steps to physically secure it, protect it from moisture, provide clean power to the charger, etc.  What we cannot do is eliminate the occasional "crashing" of programs and operating systems...so we do not attempt to use it for active/real time navigation. We have 2 GPS units and a paper chart at the helm at all times...overkill, but no catastrophic failures. 

Having said all this, thanks Stu for the program/gps puck lead...we will order one tomorrow.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

Latest Update:  I bought the SeaClear disc with all the US bsb charts, figuring that it would save me download time.  For $20 it was priceless and painless.  Haven't installed it yet, working out the folders necessary to have Offshore Navigator access them, too.

When I got the Offshore Navigator Lite 5.08 upgrade disc, discussed above, it turns out that the disc got me an upgrade from Lite to Navigator, which now is much more powerful than the Lite version I had before.

Also downloaded GPSBabel.

The saga continues, but it's still fun.

Stu Jackson

Played with SeaClear last night.  Worked it off the disc, rather than installing it.  Playing with the charts was fun - Florida, Great Lakes, Columbia River...

Compared to Offshore Navigator (ON), my initial feeling is that SeaClear is pretty clunky.  The zoom function is harder to work with no simple toolbar buttons like ON.  As noted in another link I provided, SeaClear is much less intuitive, although it could well be that it's because I am more familiar with ON from using it, albeit in a limited way, for a few years.  I'll read the SC manual over a few more times.

Next step is downloading the chart files and getting them organized and "registered" for both programs, which is also not so intuitive in ON from linking the ON to read the charts in the SC default charts folder.

In addition, I also stumbled on this Tide Station website:  http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/zones/

Stu Jackson

Update: I used the ON (Offshore Navigator) package on a trip to my favorite anchorage recently.  Not too happy with it because it doesn't quilt charts.  That means that once I get off one chart for planning and actually navigating, I have to switch charts.  That's a pain.

I have yet to try the Sea Clear.

SeaFever

Stu,

Let us know when you have reviewed SeaClear.

BTW, if one does not have a inverter on board, how does one power the laptop? The laptop has a 19vDC switch mode supply. That means we would need kind of a voltage regulator/converter that does a couple of things:

-- Convert the 12v dc from the batteries to 19v dc
-- Regulate the voltage since the battery voltage is going to be fluctuating a bit

Background:

I am trying to setup a GPS system with a larger monitor and use a laptop based program. I found a good LCD TV that used a 12vDC input via a dc adapter. I plan to mount it so I can swing it out to face the cockpit in the companionway hatch and can be swung away to face inside the boat when not being used for GPS purposes (and can be used for TV viewing etc). I have all the components figured out except for powering of the laptop for extended time.

Suggestions welcome!

MarkT

Most computers have a 12V DC adapter available. There is one made by Targus which is a good place to start. Using a 12V adapter designed for a laptop is a better idea than the inverter as some PC's don't behave well with inverters. Or maybe some cheap inverters are not suitable for computers.

Here is one. You will need the unit that fits your laptop.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Total-Micro-Auto-Power-90W-AC-Adapter-for-Dell-Inspiron-8200/699112.aspx

Mark Tamblyn

SeaFever

Thanks Mark. Good idea. I did some research on universal adapters and found the following which seems pretty nice and versatile. Particularly with the output voltage selector.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6455233&CatId=5489

Note: I have no affiliation with TigerDirect or the vendor...

Ted Pounds

FWIW I bought a couple of auto GPS's from Tiger Direct and was very satisfied their service.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

SeaFever

Since we are on the GPS topic and for those who use an Android-based smart-phone...I tried the EarthNC Lite App (Free) on my DroidX - http://earthnc.com. Pretty cool for a free app. If only it would also display the speed in knots, then it would be complete! The 'Currents' app (also free) from Yoyana is pretty good too - www.yoyana.com/Currents. Smartphones have truly changed the way we do things, eh?

The only problem is that my DroidX screen is not that visible/clear/bright enough while sailing in bright sunlight. Which is mostly when we do go sailing... :D

Stu Jackson