Crystalization in the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

L & D

We were looking at a 34 to purchase and noticed crystalization in the bottom of the bilge. It was even on the keel bolts.

This is causing us some concern, as the owner says he does not know what it is. The broker also has never seen this before.

It almost looks like frost or thin ice.

Any help would be appreciated, as we would like to make an offer.

Charlie P.

A real puzzler.  Does it wipe off easily?  Is it hard or slimy?  Is the bilge normally wet or dry?  I like Ron's salt deposit theory - if the boat is or was in salt water.

Odd but innocuous substances end up in the bilge.  I had a oil-absorbing sock in my bilge that leached out a wierd jelly-like transparent ooze.  Perhaps the prior owner used a cleaner of some type that dried out and left a residue?  If the suryeyor wasn't concerned and it cleans up I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

Aquakon

If the formations are only growing on metal surfaces in the bilge (like the keel bolts) and no where else, could this be a mineral deposit forming in reaction to an electrical current present in the water of the bilge?  Salt or fresh?

Okay, so I flunked 7th grade science; but even I know that ocean salt deposits develop on nearly all the surface materials found on a C34, not just the metal stuff.

Just a thought...

Rumours of my Death Persist