Keel bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gardner

I am looking at the Catalina 34 as a possible upgrade from my Catalina 27.  One boat that I have seen has early signs of a crack developing at the keel to hull joint.  The broker was dismissive - "common for all boats".  There seems to be no mention of this anywhere else on the message board;   is this a rare problem, possibly serious, cosmetic?  Please can anyone advise?
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

tandm

John,

It is my understanding that it is common to many boats.  My 34 had some separation when I purchased the boat. I was told by the surveyor that it was a cosmetic problem in my case but I had the area fixed anyway.  (I needed to repair some minor anchor chain damage to the trailing edge of the keel and since they had the grinder out... :cool:)

There is always the possibility of a previous grounding or loose keel bolts to consider but a good surveyor should be able to detect this. You might want to check for cupping of the keel bolt washers.  This could indicate loose keel bolts which could be a problem.

td
Peregrine #543

dave davis

It is quite common to see a slight cracking or shallow opening at the connection of the keel and the hull stub. I'v tried hiding it at every haulout since 1988. I've tried all types of both ridget and flexable coating including barrior coating after using a vacuum purging and heat lamps prior to coatings, but nothing seems to work.I'm note really worried about it, but it would be nice to not have it re-appear .It always looks good until the next haul-out when it smiles at me and says, Hi there, I'm back. I've even had the yard tighten the bolts to 125 inch pounds( or was it foot pounds?) Each nut was marked when this was done and they all moved about 10-15 degrees. The factory recommends not to exceed 105 Ft.Pds, but the shop went by some manual before I could mention the CY recommendation. I did not have them back them off. Maybe we should run a survey to find out how common this is and report back to CY some real datum. :confused:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Donay's Dream I

I purchased my 1999 Catalina 34 last year.  It had a similar crack that you have found in your potential new boat.  I did some research and found that this crack it fairly common for Catalina's (i.e. "Catalina Smile").  As mentioned in Ron's note, it is more common in the wing keel models.  

I had my smile repaired but it returned after it was laid in its new cradle.  I believe it was a result of not getting it blocked properly.  I repaired it before launch this year.  No apparent problems.

I contacted Catalina and they provided a repair procedure for the crack.

I have no apparent problems so far and love the boat.  I completed my first offshore race over the weekend and was extremely happy with the boat handling of very rough seas (offshore Nova Scotia).

Good luck with your search.

john.gardner

Many thanks for your help

kenkillian

I can confirm what the others have said.  Our 86 purchased in 98 had the smile.  When we redid bottom last year, I found the crack to be only cosmetic and acutally very shallow.  It is definitely something that needs inspection, but I doubt whether it is of any major concern.  I have no worries about it on Puff

Charlie P.

I have heard this term applied to several makes of boats; Hunter Smile, Catalina Smile, etc.  I had a Pearson that was positively jolly.  As long as the bolts are torqued properly and not leaking or the result of a severe impact it is likely only cosmetic.  I was concerned about the possibility of melt water seeping in and freezing over the winter - causing spiraling mischief.  A good fairing compound sanded to shape will blend it out.

My current yard discourages cradles and prefers to set the keels on blocks and then position the jackstands.  No smile on Delirious . . . yet.