MK11 Davit Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

I have read several posts outlining different systems members are using to lift there tenders.  Attached are pictures of our davit system.  We mounted the davits as far outboard as possible.  Our aluminum bottom rib is 11.5 feet long and the mounting points on the rib are 80 inches apart.  The davits ended up also being 80 inches wide once they were mounted.  This is important because the lines run fairly from the mounting points inside the rib to the end of the davits.  The extra width also made for a perfect mounting point for for the solar panel.  The panel is almost 70 inches wide.  The stern rail seats put the davit quite far out over the stern and required the bottom of the davits to be bent aft to be mounted.  We also had padeyes welded to the top of the davit and we ran 3/32 coated wire to the masthead.  We use turnbuckles on the davit to tension the wire.  This was overkill but it does relieve some strain on the sternrail.
The davits have a 4 to 1 block and tackle system.  The engine side needs to be 6 to 1.  I can lift it but it is very heavy.  Our rib has a 15 hp two stroke engine.  The rib weighs 125, the engine is 75, fuel is another 50 pounds for a total of 250 pounds.  The solar panel also weighs 50 pounds.  It would also be common for us to have another 25 to 40 pounds of stuff (beach toys, chairs, propane tank) in the rib.  At this weight I can say the entire system seems bulletproof.  The davits are also high enough to drop the swim ladder with the dinghy up.  We can bury the rail and the dinghy does not drag in the water.
The davits were built by Stainless Outfitters in Barrie ON.

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stewartn

Any one have a diagram of where, exactly to place a Garhauer motor lift on 34'MkII? I have been told it should be placed so that it centers the engine on the Edson Bracket. But, I can't see where you mount the the pole to accomplish this. Thx All.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Stu Jackson

The trick is to buy one and then try it out to see where it fits best.  That's what I did with mine.  I lined it up so the head of the motor lift mount was directly above my engine on its holder on the pushpit and then, and only then, I decided where to put the base holder.  Since the lengths of the horizontal arms are different for the now available two different Garhauer motor lifts, and only you know which one you have, you simply have to experiment on your boat.  I did mine completely differently than Ron Hill did his, and we have the same lifts.  I also had a flag pole holder on the far end of the coaming on the flat spot (Mark I) after it drops, which is where Ron put his IIRC.  Mine is UP on the end of the coaming, and so the horizontal arm is higher than most.  I know this doesn't answer your Mark II question, but that's the process you should follow.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."