Water Pressure Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

When I shut off a water faucet, the pump correctly stops running.  Then, within a few minutes, the pump will run for about a second; another few minutes it will do it again; sometimes a third time, and then no more.

I've checked the connections, and there are no leaks of any kind.  I know the pump is pressure sensitive, so there must be a drop in pressure.  I recall this phenomena from my old Columbia days, but I can't recall a solution, or even if one was required.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Mike Smith

Hi Peter -

Check the thread on my message "Freshwater Pump Diagnostics".

Good Luck,

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Roc

Peter, You're lucky that your pump stops cycling after 3 times.  Mine does that every several minutes with no end.  It has done this since the boat is new.  I've tightened every hose clamp and see no leaks.  If anyone had a similar problem and solved it, I would like to know. :confused:

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Rose

Check your connections at the stern shower, maybe there is a slight leak there.  Once in awhile mine cycles for an instance also.  Maybe it's just a temperature change at night.  I had to tighten the hose clamps on the 3/8" elbows going to the hot water heater.  Had a small leak there.

Bill

I had the same problem.  My domestic water pump would cycle every couple of minutes for hours if I left the breaker on.  I could find no leaks.  While checking the pump itself I noticed water movment thru the clear filter bowl.  The water was moving back to the non pressure side of the pump.  The rubber seal in the pump that keeps the pressure on the pressure side (check valve) had a small piece of plastic debris lodged in it and the water pressure would leak back to the non pressure side of the pump and the pump would cycle on and rebuild the pressure.  Then the process would start over and over and over ....  The fix was to remove the plastic debris and reassemble.  The pump has worked perfectly for the last 6 months or so.

Bill Jenks
2000  #1484
Unzipped