Dinghy Davit Idea

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Interesting idea:  http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=119794

I have heard that when you are sailing with a dinghy in tow, you should take the outboard off the dinghy, to avoid it from getting dunked. With my current engine, a Yamaha 4 hp 4-stroke, weighing 55 lbs, it was becoming a real chore to lift it up, and put it back each time. Bigger risk of dropping it in the process.

I wanted to lift the dinghy and engine together, but without adding permanent davits for my 32 ft Catallina. I looked at many engine lifts, and liked the Garhauer brand. Using two lifts, that have a 6:1 purchase, I could easily lift the inflatable without any effort. When sailing in 20 kt winds in Oyster Bay, LI on Memorial Day, there was no movement or swaying. The dinghy was perfectly secure. I picked this system, because it could be easily disassembled, but the fact is, it doesn't look obtrusive at all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

paule

Funny that this has came up on the forum. My wife was just discusing doing the same thing I already use the engine lift and extra spinniker haylard to lift the dink out of the water when in the slip.
Just to let you know I guess we should start to listen to the boss more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I also did a similar thing. I had a garhauer motor lift and then I purchased a radar tower from garhauer which also came with an integrated motor lift so I was planning on selling the motor lift and replacing it with the radar tower.
Then the light bulb came on and I decided to use them together as a dinghy lift/davits. It's been working out great.
The only problem being that my barbecue is on the back so will either have to drop the dinghy or move the barbecue to the side.

Decisions,decisions   :clap
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bill Asbury

Great idea, Stu!  Was thinking of buying dinghy davits but now will contact Garhauer re engine lifts instead.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : Great idea. 
Just want to caution those that may go down the ICW (and maybe other places), that the davits will be counted as additional boat length (+4 feet), when figuring out dockage length !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

ICW?  Boat length?  Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaatttttttt?

Here in California they charge ya extra slip fees if the skipper has a mustache - it sticks out further ya know!  Maybe the danged environmentalists are trying to get rid of pirates??? :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

You could tow your dinghy the last 1/4 mile or so and fold the lift arms inward unless they also charge you for the length of the dinghy floating behind you. :D

I'd probably be charded extra for having a big nose  :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

David Arnold

Garhauer has two motor lifts, one with 26" arm and a larger version with 34" arm.  Which one would be used on the C34 as an engine lift alone or in tandem as discssed here as a dinghy lift?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

David, Garhauer's dinghy davits, NOT the motor lifts, have 36 inch arms. However, the two most important items for consideration are 1) how wide your dinghy is and 2) where you put the vertical poles on your stern.

If you are considering this concept, I would recommend that you do some measurements on your own boat.  That said, longer is NOT necessarily the best option because it puts the dinghy further aft when hoisted.

And I'm pretty sure that Mark I and Mark II stern configurations would result in different answers to that question.

When I bought my motor lift they only had ONE model.  If (when) I do this second motor lift, I'll have to go measure my boat.

David Arnold

Stu,
It is the (outboard) lift that I am interesed in, not the dinghy lift.  The outboard lifts come with either a 26" or 34" arm.  I am wondering which I need for a 2005 Mk II.

Thanks...
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

David, I understand.  Please go back and read what I wrote.  I looked up the length of the dinghy davits to give you a comparison, that's all.

Ron Hill

David : There have been a number of posts as well as articles in the Mainsheet tech notes about the outboard lifts on a MK II.  The Mainsheet articles have picture/s on the placement of the base - why it's there and how to do do the job.  There for your reading. 
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

I went to the forums link at the start of this thread that Stu posted.  This is a great idea. I have looked at the photos and can't see how they sling the dinghy.  Any thoughts?
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Stu Jackson

A couple of ideas:

Bow:  dinghies usually have D rings inside the bow.  Easy to hook up to with a few short lines.  Looks like that's exactly what they've done in those photos, and my eyesight ain't too good anymore these days...

Stern:  Either rig two loops of line around the stern tubes that project past the transom, or insert a couple of eye bolts through the transom and rig from there, or tie onto the rings that hold the dinghy side lines.

All dinghies are different, and we have NO idea what make, model or length you have, all of which would affect the answer.

Then?  Get creative. :shock:

Hawk

David,
If you are looking to lift your outboard rather than the dinghy you ought to google Kato Marine and look at theirs.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35