3'' nicro vent "dorarade box" on the cabin top

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

Ok I give up, I have searched the tech wiki, and the forum and the general internet that google has access to  and I cannot find replacement options for the vents in my cabin top.

These are 1990,  cracked, dried out, and just one stumble on deck away from being kicked overboard in a flurry of dried out plastic and 40$ cowl vents.

First off, I ordered what seemed correct, but the 4'' nicro soft plastic cowl scoop does not fit. I could not find anything smaller so I figgered it was the right item.

I could return them, but I'd like to replace the "dorade" part of the vent without using a big teak box.

I can only find that nicro no longer makes this item.

What have you folks been doing about this particular item? 

The solar ventilator is still available but the one installed in the aft cabin is a diff. size and I fear that ordering these will result in the first problem above:  doesn't fit.

Someone on this forum used the small hatch from the head to replace these.  I'm not interested in all that cutting just yet.

Anybody have a solution??

Thanks!!!

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Bob K

Dan,
I searched in vain for replacements,  as you did, when the top of one was popped off and knocked overboard by a hyperactive jib sheet.  I ended up buying Plastimo Cool n Dry, p/n 30844.   It was a fairly close fit. About $200 for a set, including the base, from ahoycaptain.  Bought 2 years ago.  Good luck, Bob
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

I went to the C34 Tech Notes, then clicked on the Knowledgebase, and did a Ctrl F on "Dorade" and found the August 2005 article I wrote on dorade replacement.  I simply can't give you a direct URL link to it, as much as I'd like to, 'cuz it's in the Knowledgebase spreadsheet.

Dave Davis had earlier written about simply removing the tops and leaving the stainless parts.

The Tech Notes and Knowledgebase are important parts of the website as discussed in the "sticky" on this MB.  Glad you've searched, and we know that sometimes there's altogether too much information here for anyone to handle, so we'll continue to point you to where you can find it.

I recommend that folks go to the Knowledgebase (it's simply a very detailed Excel spreadsheet) and download it regularly, since the great folks who maintain this website (not me!) update it when new material comes available (when Mainsheet is published and when new material is posted on Projects).

You could also search here on the MB for "Vetus" --- I recall posting a catalog cut of their replacement dorade, but it should have been captured in your original search.

Lots of options, no one "right way."  You usually simply cannot buy the "hood" part without the rest of the parts.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

hump180

Here is what I did: purchased low profile replacement vents - http://www.thechandleryonline.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1304&pf%5Fid=006%5FAN10883

Next: I removed the old dorade traps, cleaned them, and then spray painted them with white outdoor plasic paint. Reinstalled the traps and pushed the new vents in. The wjole set up looks like it is new and more updated.

One note of interest - the new vents habe the slightest amount of play when installed on the trap. To combat this I spread a small amount of clear silicone around the inside lip of the trap with my finger. Let it dry and then the vents fit very snug and can still be turned.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Guys : FYI, The 4" Dorade vents on the 1986 thru 1988 C34s are made by Vetus and the 1989 and subsequent 3" Dorade vents (thru hull #1294) are made Nicro.  
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Rick,  That looks awesome, did you document it with patterns or plans?  And where did you find Gold vents?
Dan & Dar

lucky

I replaced my vents (after one went over board) with nicro 4 inch from defender,inside  is painted red.
Al Landry
Lucky #13
1986 catalina 34

Rick Johnson

Dan,

Sorry, I made the base of the dorades without a thought for documenting the process.  The base is made of African mahogany, much cheaper than teak.  At some point I might remake them out of teak.  All the angles to make them fit correctly is a pain in the arse and each base needs to be custom fitted. 

The low profile cowl vents are 3" ABI Titan Tuff Gold.  Minney's Yacht Surplus had them on sale for $49 each.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Indian Falls

The 3" version is harder to find but still available.  Google searches show many places listing them but then they have a note that they are not available. 

So far found the cowls here:  http://www.jmsonline.net/VENT-LOW-PROFILE-3.htm 

It is a Nicro p/n  N10883   3" low profile.
Dan & Dar

Ed Shankle

Addendum to Ron's note above; you may find that some 89's have the Vetus. Mine did. And Vetus does sell just the cowl itself, without the complete box.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA