Catalina Cushion Fabrics

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

We have to replace all our interior cushions, why, is a subject for another day.  I will be interested in any experience with Catalina's Ultra Leather fabric, durability, ease of cleaning, stain resistance, repair etc.
that you would like to share.  The good, bad and the ugly will be appreciated.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

foobie

Jim - Sorry I don't have any experience with Catalina's cushions to advise you on. Be prepared to pay a lot for ultra suede.

Anyway I wanted to say that we just had the interior cushions on Frolic done this spring. Not sure where you are on the bay, but we found a good and very reasonably priced upholstery shop in Rising Sun MD. We reused the foam as the Counselor of the Exchequer said replacement was greater than the allocated funds. They've retained a slightly boaty smell, but not they're not intolerable at all. Someday maybe I'll have the foam redone.

The fabric was off the shelf from a discount upholstery supply place in Wilmington. It is strong and so far has been easy maintain (my spilled Dark 'N Stormy came right up).

Jensen's Furniture Workroom
jensensfurnitureworkroom.com

13 East Cherry Street
Rising Sun MD 21911

Best of luck,

Steve
Steve Eckfield

Clay Greene

I was told by our local dealer that the company that makes Catalina's cushions is JSI in Florida.  I believe their website is newjsi.com  You might get a quote from them - I imagine there is some economy of scale plus they may well have the pattern for your year and model of boat. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

When we replaced ours four years ago, we used a velvet type material. It's held up very well and still looks great, the only problem is that it's a pain trying to slide across it when getting in and out from the table and some of the stitching has had to be redone as a result and once a button where one of the tufts is, pulled out, again from sliding across it and had to be re sewn. If we ever have to re-cover, it would probably be with a leather type material.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

tonywright

We have the ivory (off-white) Ultra Leather. Excellent experience with it to date. Seems very durable, although it is soft. Marks remove very easily. We really like it.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Tom Clay

Jim,

We have the ultra leather in blue on our boat. We really like the soft material, and always get positive comments when friends are on the boat. We spend alot of time on the boat (60-70 nights a year) and so far the cushion covers have held up very well and still look new. We have spilled things on them and the liquid does not stain or penetrate the material. The foam cushion is starting to compress, I suspect we will have to replace the foam in the next couple of years. So far no repairs have been needed.

I would include this upgrade on any New Catalina.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Ken Juul

Its all in the eye of the beholder.  Personally I think the ulta suede belongs in an RV not a boat.  But thats just me. 

The materials Catalina used seem to hold up well, mine is going on 21 years, few repairs, but the overall fabric still holds it's shape and color.  If you like what you have, replace with something similiar.  If not, well maybe thats why you are asking the question.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Jim : Just remember - you get what you pay for.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

My geuss is that those that have suggested to stay with fabric have no experience with Ultra Leather.  I had fabric on an older C 30 and at the suggestion of the dealer went with the Ultra Leather when we purchased our C34.  The fabric got dirty easily, was hard to clean, held odors like glue and was uncomfortable on hot, muggy days.  The Ulra leather is exactly the opposite; it's hard to get dirty, very easy to clean, does not hold odors and is always comfortable regardless of the weather or what you happen to be wearing when you sit on it.  Like Ron said, you get what you pay for...  All things considered I feel the Ultra Leather is a down right bargain!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Momentum M

I agree that the ultra leather is very confortable, easy to maintain, etc....  as the other mentioned.
I'm told that even if it feels like leather it's not.  I tend to believe that but I'm no "material" expert.

Now days many synthetics products are way superior than the original and this material is a perfect example.

Go for it
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Jim Brener

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.  JSI in Florida does the newer boats that are made in Florida. The patterns for a 1987 boat are in CA. We sent our old covers to Catalina who honored our quote given that there has been a price increase. Ordered Ultra Leather, hope we will be happy with the choice of color.  Short lead time, under 3 weeks.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Exodus

Jim,

I am interested in getting new cushions for my boat as well.  Did you just replace the covers or are you getting new foam and covers?

Would you mind posting the contact information and give us an idea of the price for Ultra leather?

Thanks!

Ron Hill

Exodus : If you have the original foam the only question you should ask is - is the back cushion foam still usable, because I'm sure that the seat cushion foam is shot !!  

Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Jim, we have the white ultra leather and love it!
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jim & Exodus : You both need to look at the age of the boat that's answering your query.

We only had Ultra Suede cushions for 3 years, but have had red wine and lacquer thinner spills and can see no trace of any mark!
I'm sure that the MK II owners of less than 10 years are pleased, so also take into consideration how much use the boat has had.  I average 110 overnights per year not including day sailing. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788