Gelcoat & Epoxy

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

OK, I searched before I asked. Is gelcoat compatible with the West System epoxy? I've heard that some epoxies won't allow gelcoat to adhere to them.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roc

The West system epoxy dries extremely smooth.  I've applied gelcoat over it after sanding the epoxy down and it seemed to stick well.  You might want to contact the West System company to see if they have a special protocol for applying gelcoat over their epoxy.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Albreen

I've applied gelcoat over epoxy before above water with great success but have heard the same about below water applications...........here's a link to the West System site for information. Appears not to be an issue.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/polyester-over-epoxy/
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Lance Jones

Perfect answer Paul. I had called West Systems hotline and was awaiting a response. You're faster fo' sho!  :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Albreen

You're welcome, Lance. One note of importance and mentioned in the West link is removing the epoxy "blush" that forms on the surface of a cured epoxy fix. Be sure to remove prior to applying gelcoat. I've used acetone before but have heard you can do well with water and soap too. And, as you would expect, you should rough up the epoxy surface too. Good luck.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Lance Jones

Thanks Paul,
I have several Gelcoat areas I need to repair; but, one ding I need to back fill with epoxy first. I appreciate your answers...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622