Lazy Jacks / EZJax

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweetybd

We're considering switching from the Dutchman system to EZJax for our new main; if you've made the switch (or just added the EZJax system), we'd appreciate hearing from you.

Our new main will have a full batten at the top, and three 60% battens.

regards,
Jon Arck

Tweety Bird #1346
Emeryville, CA

chudave

I have the Harken Lazy Jack system on my new boat, which is also retractable like the EZJAX system you are considering.

I had the Dutchman on my C34.

I find my Lazy Jacks good "catchers" of the main.  As I drop it down, it really catches and controls the main, but it is of little help flaking it.  I always retract the lazy jacks and flake it by hand when I return to the slip.

I found the Dutchman system much easier to flake the main, especially as the sail was broken in.  It also did not take "two steps" to use, i.e retracting the jacks when you raise or flake, versus deploying them when you lower.

Hope this helps...

Dave Chu

Tweetybd

David,

It seems that you were happy with the Dutchman; if so, then why did you switch to the Harken system?

Jon

chudave

I only switched because the Harken system came standard with my new boat, in hindsight I would have probably special ordered the Dutchman.

Dave Chu

Paul Blumenfeld

Is there any difference between these two systems in how they work and how they retract? Anyone have experience with both?
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA