Additional New Alternator Source & Maine Sail's Analysis of Alt. Sources

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Some more info:

1- The Prestolite / Leece-Neville alts are the replacements for Motorola alts. The cases ARE the old Motorola castings as Prestolite took over the Motorola brand of alts a while ago.

2- Leece-Neville used to make some of the Balmar alternators.

3- Balmar made a series 81 Motorola case this is it:

4- Open up that alt and you will find the identical parts that are inside the comparable Leece-Neville 8MR series alts right down to the bearings.

5- The Leece-Neville 8MR series is EASILY converted to external regulation: "Converting To External Regulation (LINK)" Leece-Neville 8MR External Regulation Conversion

Oh BTW here are the actual part numbers on the actual Leece-Neville alts sold as Universal / Westerbeke replacements by a MAJOR (the supplier to Catalina) Westerbeke / Universal distributor. Apparently Westerbeke in Taunton sent out a bunch of parts that did not get sprayed red or blue. I am good friends with them and was allowed to take these photos.

I am actually now a dealer for these alts in external regulation format...
MarineHowTo.com - Alternators & Regulators

While these are not the same performance level as a Balmar 6 Series they are a decent little alt with the same quality as the older Balmar Series 81 (which has been discontinued.) They are available in sizes from 37 amps to 105 amps and are very easily converted to external regulation.

EDIT: The newer 6 series Balmar alternators are very good alts and will also fit in this foot print. They offer better cooling than the old model 81 or Leece-Neville 8MR's so if driving AGM's or GEL's or large flooded banks you would be wise to consider a Balmar 6 series. That said the Leece-Neville 8MR series are still a decent little alternator, for coastal cruising with smallish banks, especially for the price..

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stephen Butler

After a few decades around parts sourcing, I am not surprised by mainesail's last post.  For a REAL shocker, take a look sometime at automotive parts, particularly for non-US cars.  As stated previously, companies justify their pricing by their stocking levels and instant parts availability, and of course by their extended warranties.  Cannot think of an automotive or construction equipment company that does not follow this policy.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

karista

Quote from: Stephen Butler on June 11, 2010, 11:38:27 PM
After a few decades around parts sourcing, I am not surprised by mainesail's last post.  For a REAL shocker, take a look sometime at automotive parts, particularly for non-US cars.  As stated previously, companies justify their pricing by their stocking levels and instant parts availability, and of course by their extended warranties.  Cannot think of an automotive or construction equipment company that does not follow this policy.

Steve
My latest experience with Universal does not support your claim of "instant stock availability" they provided me  their alternator part number and price of $550.50, but also stated they had none in stock and it would take at least a week to get one.
I ordered the the same alternator (Prestolite Leece Neville) from spidermarine.com for $179 and it was delivered the next day for a flat shipping charge of $11.94
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stephen Butler

Just giving one of the rationales for pricing.  Do realize that the rationale doesn't always hold up in reality.  The issue of parts pricing, whether genuine, oem, will-fits, etc. is always a sensative issue, and as I mentioned, I now 'shop' for my parts.  Recently, I replaced my clutch in my car...had the choice of paying $400 for a "genuine" part in a box with the car's brand name on it, $198 for the exact same part but in a different box, or $98 for a no-name will-fit.  I think the expression is...your boat/car/money...your choice.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023