BRONZE HOSES

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

I am replacing my water heater this weekend and will also replace the hoses that go from the heater under the deck to the engine.  I still have the two hoses that are painted like the engine that come off the front and rear of the antifreeze tank.  They have something like a cloth wrap on them.  I want to replace them while at it as they are probably older than dirt.   After about an hour of searching the database I don't see a specific reference to them and I wonder if I can get replacement hoses from the same source as the other hoses or do I need to get these from Kubota.  I understand the 25 xp is a Kubota d950 and have a good Kubota dealer here in town.  I guess the question is are these some kind of standard thing or special to the engine?  By the way, I removed the access panel door and frame under the sink on Monday and used the drywall screw technique to remove the plugs.  it worked as advertised.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

prh77

The forward hose makes a 90 degree turn to the thermostat housing. I used a good quality trident wire reinforced hose as you do not want it crimping due to the curve. Ditto for the aft hose.  The only special hose is the 1 inch ID that is a preformed 90 degree off the fresh water pump. Gates makes an exact replacement. I do not have the part # here, but can get it off the boat.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ken Juul

Even with the wire reinforced hose, I never felt comfortable with the sharp turn that hose has to make.  Instead I have a piece of copper tubing bent to the correct angle, one end goes in the hose to the water heater the other into a short piece of hose connected to the thermostat housing.  I'll try to remember to post a picture.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Mark : I've typrd up 3 replies that have gone off into cyberspace somewhere.  If you're interested in my thoughts send me a message and I'll respond!!!!!!!!!   Ron
Ron, Apache #788

kurt

I'm in the process of cleaning up my HX and replacing some old/original fresh water hoses around the engine.

I see that torrensen marine diesel direct has the front hose as a single 30" wire reinforced hose with no pre-bend.

This bend appears to my eye to have the internal nipple of the fresh water pump almost cutting into the hose as the hose is bent to port around the engine.  I do not like the look of this.

Is there an easy/better alternative solution?  I also notice that it is difficult to get the hose all the way up on the fresh water pump nipple as there isn't much clearance room on back side of that nipple.

Thanks,

Kurt

(http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=200142-33&model=M-25 / M-25XP / M-25XPA&manufacturer=Universal&title=Water Flange Group and Temp Sender&quant_position=&catalog=200142&printparts=200142&printservice=200151&printoperators=200157&comment1=)

[corrected url - Stu]

Stu Jackson

The first picture here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

shows the black hose that goes from 1" to 7/8" and then to the copper ell under the alternator and then to the 7/8" hose to the HX.

It came with my alternator bracket replacement kit.  You can get the parts most likely from Catalina Direct.

That hose does have plenty of room to fit under the freshwater coolant pump.  What does happen is it may chafe a bit and should be checked, like all hoses, regularly.  Easy for me to say!  We had to take our HX off today to remove the old 7/8" short hose from the manifold to the HX. When I say "we" I mean my new tremendous boat mechanic, our son, Morgan.

It was put on by someone else many moons ago and he didn't use my Lanocote trick.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kurt

Thanks Stu.  Yes, that is the hose.

It appears after discussion with CD that I must order the entire alternator replacement kit from CD to get that hose/elbow which I'd like to avoid doing.  (I tossed the entire contraption last weekend.)

So, am going to try the heat gun on the 7/8" hose and see if that can soften it up enough for me to get the hose up on the water pump outlet...

Stu Jackson

Good luck.  Wouldn't Torreson have the part available?  I bought our replacement for the one that failed from a local Universal dealer.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

prh77

I have  a Gates p/n for the prebent hose that comes off the fresh water pump. Will get it off the boat today. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

Ron Hill

Guys : Years ago with my old engine I took off the short preformed hose that goes from the HX to the internal water pump.  It attaches to the metal tube on one end and the water pump on the other end.

I took that short hose to an auto supply store and they matched it !!  The cost was only $3 or $4.  It was for a foreign auto - I believe a Toyota.

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Go to an auto store. Ask for a 1 inch to 7/8 inch elbow.  'Cuz that's what it is.  I just threw my old one out (lightening ship!!!:D), but that's what I'll do instead of paying universal (pun intended) prices.  :D

prh77

The Gates P/N is 20693 ECR. I think it was $4 at NAPA. Hate to think what Universal or Torrenson would charge.

kurt

Hello everyone,  Thank you very much for your help and numbers on this one.   For the current time have decided to stay with the single 7/8" wire reinforce hose which will run from pump to hx.  Will watch it closely for fraying and go to the gates hose with elbow approach  noted here if so.  Photo attached fyi.  Thanks again, Kurt